Controlling outputs other side of 5500NB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speakerroom, Jun 10, 2006.

1. speakerroom

speakerroom

I Have being working on the following for 2 days ...

I am trying to turn on lights from a SC5034BNL input, which is located on the Main Network. The Output (a L5508RVF), is located on the Second Network (ie Pool area), via a Network Bridge (5500NB).
    The Second Network shows
    current comsumption @ 18 mA
    Current Supply @ 0mA
    Impedance @ 120000ohms
    Result 1 power supplies required 1 burden required
    Units Calculated 1
    Units not Calculated 1.

The CAt5 cable has been tested,
    The two Amber lights are up on the Network Bridge,
    The Bridge has been programmed to connect applications and send messages to adjacent networks on the Near and far side.

I have several questions..

Why is it telling me,that the result 1 power supply is required, when I have a L5508RVF relay with inbuilt power supply on the second network ?

why is the impedance so high, Impedance @ 120000ohms ? As I have changed physical burdens and placed them at bridge Network B side and down at relay. I have also placed a software burden at network bridge, but can not tick box at Relay, so as to test at that position.

When creating database for input keypad SC5034BNL, the key groups for the second network relay did not appear in list, so I created them. Is this correct or do I have a problem with relay or something else?

speakerroom, Jun 10, 2006
  2. speakerroom

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi speakerroom,

There's a known bug in the calculator where not all units are included, discussed in : http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2346

This has been addressed for a future release, in the meantime you can change the catalog number(s) as described in the other thread to produce a complete calculation.

daniel, Jun 13, 2006
  3. speakerroom

speakerroom

Daniel,
    Thanx for reply, You have possibly answered one part of the puzzle, which is causing the wrong reading.
    speakerroom:)

speakerroom, Jun 13, 2006
  4. speakerroom

_____.

Quick question first why the need for a network bridge when you only have one unit on the second network????? Just connect the pool relay into the main network and you will have no probelms....:)

To answer you question thou, if you have connect application set both ways (which means that in theory this is just one big network) you have to make sure the address in the switch on NetworkA and the address in the relay on NetworkB are the same application/address. ( Address is not the same as Tag name. You have to have to same HEX/DEC address which if you look under groups in the application you will see what the address is).

Hope this points you in the right direction..;)

_____., Jun 14, 2006
  5. speakerroom

Darpa

I would assume that the bridge was used for safety/reliability concerns, as in if there is a lightning strike, interference, shorts in the line due to a storm or insects/animals chewing through the cable, etc, that it would ensure that the main network in the house would remain functional?

It could also be that if it was one network, rather than seperated into two, that the cable length or impedance could be too high...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
    Darpa, Jun 14, 2006
  6. speakerroom

wanricky

Also you need to program the network bridge so that it passes data to next network.

wanricky, Jun 14, 2006
  7. speakerroom

speakerroom

New Member,
    Who ever you are, I thankyou for your information as It has help me resolve the problem with the two networks talking to each other. Now to why the power supply in the relay, why is it not reading?

speakerroom, Jun 15, 2006
  8. speakerroom

NickD Moderator

You use the term "reading", which makes me wonder if you're assuming that toolkit actually *reads* the amount of power supplies on the network, which is not the case.

Toolkit only knows what you tell it as far as *exact* unit types go. For example, as far as Toolkit is concerned, an L5508RVF works the same as an L5508RVFP.. it only knows the difference from what you enter as the Catalog number when you add the unit to the database.

I'm wondering if Toolkit thinks you've got an L5508RVFP, which has no power supply.

Regardless.. if you can load the unit's GUI in Toolkit, you must have a working network, and as long as the Network Voltage reading in the status tab is healthy (should be well over 20V), you should be fine.

Nick

NickD, Jun 16, 2006
Ask a Question