Controlling devices via RS232

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 2SC, Feb 26, 2007.

1. 2SC

2SC

The time has come to learn to control devices via RS232
    I am bidding for a project, where except the lighting control we have to control, the below devices:
    - 2 Sony VPL-CX63 projectors (RS-232)
    - 3 cameras PTZ Sony EVI-D70P (RS-232)
    - 2 amplifiers Sony SRP-X500 (RS-232)
    - 1 video VHS/DVD compo (IR)
    - 1 HD/DVD recorder (IR)
    Which is the most cost effective way to control those 7 RS232 ports?

2SC, Feb 26, 2007
  2. 2SC

nickrusanov

in theory this looks like

1 x PACA
    8 x RS232 to RS485 converters

You create RS485 network (7 converters connect rs232 devices) and send commands through PACA and one more converter to it. It will not be easy to configure i think.

nickrusanov, Feb 26, 2007
  3. 2SC

tobex

What do you mean by control ? Is this space interactive or is it simply a matter of operational levels and switched off ?

tobex, Feb 26, 2007
  4. 2SC

Conformist

Sorry to rain on your parade, but whilst this is good in theory, it may not work well in practice.

Many systems that use an RS232 protocol, reply with error messages or question marks if a wrongly formatted string is received (this will occur unless you can be selective with the RS485/232 converter you are using) The units I have seen, don't have specific node addresses on the RS485 side of the device, so all messages will be broadcast, will be passed onto all RS232 devices. You may well find the traffic on the network gets very busy will all of the replies as well as problems with multiple units talking at the same time. RS485 works well when you can send information to the devices in the field and get known responses (like polling). Not so good, when you have devices that will reply to mesages not intended for them.

We tried it with only two devices on an RS485 line with terrible results :(

In the end, we had to use TCP/IP to RS232 converters and other third party hardware.....

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
    Conformist, Feb 26, 2007
  5. 2SC

2SC

I found on the internet these converters http://www.audon.co.uk/ecov432.html that look OK and they aren't expensive.

What converters did you use?

2SC, Feb 26, 2007
  6. 2SC

tobex

I still don't see why hardware for the sake of hardware is actually a solution. Most of the equipment you have listed could be operated from HOME or THEATRE PC runnings Windows. Or TCP/IP using AXIS PTZ cameras.

Working from the assumption that people generally know the most difficult choice I still dont know what the problem is.

tobex, Feb 26, 2007
  7. 2SC

znelbok

How do you want to control them - via a key input, touchscreen, or automatic (ie one button press).

I use a program called CQC (charmed quark) that is quite good for serial control. It offers a GUI interface for the users.

The only downside is that you will have to write the drivers for it (not hard) as the gear in your list is not covered yet. Simple one way control would take about and hour to write for each (if that), whereas two way control a little longer - of course this depends on your programming skills as well.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 26, 2007
  8. 2SC

2SC

I have no idea how to control 7 RS232 devices. That’s why I posted initially (I was sure that 4 PACA is not the solution I was after). Hence, I have no problem to work on the direction that this forum wills advice me to.
    The problem is that I will be subcontractor of a Sony Distributor, so I can’t select myself what devices will be supplied.
    Can you tell me how to connect 7 RS232 in one Theatre PC? It has 7 serial ports? What software should I use?<O:p
    I want a simple one way control via key input or a B/W touch screen (A Paca unit will be used also).<O:p

2SC, Feb 26, 2007
  9. 2SC

Phil.H

It sounds like you have ruled out four PAC units.

A few things I always think about. First there is the cost of all the equipment you have listed, then think of the cost to have solid control of all of this (4 PAC's ?)
    If you bolt bits and pieces together what is the combined cost of the various units (4 PAC's ?)
    If you bolt bits and pieces together what is the cost in terms of your time (4 PAC's ?)
    If you come up with a piecey solutioin what will be the cost in time and customer satisfaction if the install fails every second day (4 PAC's ?)
    Go for a solid solution even if it costs a few dollars more at the outset ;)

PS. I have put together a PAC RS232 program for the purposes of training how to set up RS232 control for controlling certain AV equipment. It is going really cheap :D

Phil.H, Feb 26, 2007
  10. 2SC

Conformist

The converters we used were ADAM 4579 (distributed by advantech). These are designed for industrial control, but due to their small size, are perfect for distributed solutions. I think they cost about $280 AUD for a 2 port unit (ports can be either RS232 or 485). They can be driven by a Crestron or soon to be released Beaver controller.

Adam have a range of products to extend commuications where you run out of ports

Cheers

Conformist, Feb 26, 2007
  11. 2SC

tobex

You can go Ethernet with Lantronix and then you can run a LAN ID for each device and one simple Cat5 network. AT least then you can make them really pleased to know they can control the devices from any place in the world ?

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/wibox.html

I must assume that this customer refuses to run HomeGate or some other embedded Windows based control environment.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
    tobex, Feb 27, 2007
  12. 2SC

nickrusanov

Thank you. Practice often dastroys theory.
    My integrators used 485 with PAC only to control a lot of the same units.

nickrusanov, Feb 28, 2007
  13. 2SC

littleyid

XANTECH is the answer

You can use any Xantech Controller MRC88 being the easiest and add an RS232 Router - 1 in 8 out.

This will be able to control all of your devices by either remote control or touchscreen.

Good luck

littleyid, Feb 28, 2007
  14. 2SC

Nathan

You could use teh RTI T4 Controller and a RP-6 Processor will also work.
    It has Serial Ports, IR and Power sens plus it is expandable.
    T4 is a a Tablet style remote but they also have in wall options.
    rticontrols.com.au

Nathan, Mar 1, 2007
  15. 2SC

Sergio

It may be AMX?

You can also use AMX controller, which have C-bus module certified by Clipsal.

You could connect PCI interface with C-Bus network connected to one RS-232 port and connect your RS-232 devices to other RS-233 ports. You could control your IR devices with Netlinx controller too.

But AMX language not easy to understand of course.

Sergio, Mar 2, 2007
  16. 2SC

tobex

The word "control" is overstated as most of these devices are not integrated into the same functions to be used on the same panel at the same time. The security and entertainment functions have different needs.

tobex, Mar 3, 2007
Ask a Question