Controlling C-Bus with NEVO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adgilcan, Feb 20, 2011.

1. adgilcan

adgilcan

I've been searching the threads but there is no recent information.

I have a C-Bus installation and Wiser Home control. I also have a Nevo S70.

I would like to be able to control C-Bus with the Nevo handset but as C-Bus seem to have moved away from IR control, I am wondering how to do it.

I imagine I could use the Nevo web interface to connect to Wiser but I find that a clunky product and would prefer to be able to program Nevo buttons to execute C-Bus commands.

Does anyone have any knowledge, or experience of doing this?

(One old thread mentioned that C-Bus produced scripts that could be embedded in html and could thus produce custom web pages for controlling C-Bus. This might work if it possible.)

Many thanks

adgilcan, Feb 20, 2011
  2. adgilcan

NickD Moderator

Not sure what you mean by this... options for IR control of C-Bus are the same as they have always been..

- some key units respond to IR, which is effectively a virtual key press - you are limited to doing what you could otherwise do on a physical key
    - all of the C-Touch models support IR, and you can program them to respond to any NEC IR code. In a unit with logic, this can be quite powerful.

In fact, if anything the support for IR has been slightly expanded in the past few years, as the newer Neo switches and 30Mech switches now respond to NEC codes as well as the old "Clipsal" codes, and Toolkit now exposes the virtual keys on units with less than 8 physical keys.

Does any of this help? Perhaps you can elaborate on what you actually want to achieve...

Nick

NickD, Feb 21, 2011
  3. adgilcan

adgilcan

Nick

That is enormously useful to know. My perception was that C-Cus had retreated from IR as the remote handset was discontinued. Clearly I am wrong, for which I thank you for educating me!

I have just completed an entire house C-Bus installation with Saturn Key switches and DLTs. The DLTs carry scenes and triggers for scenes held on a Wiser unit. The living room has a DLT with this set-up and I also have a Nevo handheld remote which I am programming to control all my A/V equipment.

The Nevo is a powerful piece of equipment and I would like to be able to program it to control the scenes in my living room and elswhere.

If I were to buy, say, a 5031NIRL IR receiver, I could, potentially, program the Nevo to issue the correct commands to C-Bus. That is where my limited knowledge ends. How do you work out the codes and commands to remotely control C-Bus by IR?

You mentioned that any NEC IR code would do but you have lost me there already. Where do you find a list of NEC codes and how do you acheive, with them, the kind of control I am after?

adgilcan, Feb 21, 2011
  4. adgilcan

Newman

The only IR product obsolescence I know of in the last few years was the 5035TX and 5038TX remote controls, but they were replaced with newer versions, the 5035TX2 and 5038TX2.

Newman, Feb 21, 2011
  5. adgilcan

NickD Moderator

The 5031NIRL will allow you to set up a maximum of 8 separate events which you can trigger from your Nevo. These event could be scene triggers to trigger scenes in your DLTs or other Saturn switches, or more complex events using logic in the Wiser. If this is not enough, you can use a C-Touch.

IR remote controls use a vaiety of different encodings for the IR signal. "NEC" format is one of the most common, and any universal remote control should be able to produce and learn them. As for how you work out the codes that the C-Bus gear will respond to... I'm not familiar with how you program the Nevo, but I'm pretty sure the Clipsal NEC codes are available on the "Remote Central" website, which is (or at least used to be - I haven't looked for ages) a good resource for all things IR. Failing that... I assume the Nevo can learn, so maybe you can borrow a Clipsal 5035TX remote from someone to learn the codes in.

Nick

NickD, Feb 21, 2011
Ask a Question