Controlling Big Ass Fans Haiku fans from C-bus with SHAC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by Kelvin, May 21, 2018.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin

Hi Folks,

I have a series of Haiku fans from Big Ass Fans with the WiFi modules in them, such as the following:

https://www.haikuhome.com/au/fans/l-series-fan

Others have been nice enough to sniff out the protocol to talk to these fans with wireshark as follows:

https://bruce.pennypacker.org/2015/07/17/hacking-bigass-fans-with-senseme/

Using the new 5500SHAC I have been able to create a user library for talking to these so I can control the LED light in the fan and the fan speed from C-Bus switches so each room only has to have a single switchplate.

See the attached script. I added this as a user library.

I setup an hourly schedule script to execute the following:

require('user.haiku')
    haiku_find_all_devices()​

And then off events for group addresses I execute the following for lights:

require('user.haiku')
    haiku_update_light_level('Study Fan', event.getvalue())​

and for fan speed:

require('user.haiku')
    haiku_update_fan_speed('Study Fan', event.getvalue())​

If you select 'execute during ramping' it does work during dim up/down operations, even if not incredibly smooth. This is partially the granularity of the execution of the script I suspect and the number of levels in the fan itself.

Anyway, if anyone else find themself in the position of wanting to control a Haiku fan with a C-Bus switch for the sake of clean walls etc... you might also find this handy.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

Attached Files:

Kelvin, May 21, 2018
    ampcom, NickD and fleetz like this.
  2. Kelvin

NickD Moderator

Thanks for sharing!

NickD, May 22, 2018
  3. Kelvin

Weedo

Hi All, Just a quick heads up for anyone working with Haiku fans. This code no longer works with the BAF firmware. Please don't lose hours with this solution unless the Haiku firmware is downgraded. Working through some online documentation to see if this user script can be updated.

Weedo, Dec 3, 2023
  4. Kelvin

Kelvin

Weedo, do you know of any reverse engineered documentation on the protocol used by newer firmware? I’ve not had to revisit this in many years, but just had a power controller fail and may need to replace the WiFi module in one fan as well so could be forced onto newer firmware. If you know of anyone that has reverse engineered the protocol I’ll happily update this code.
    -Kelvin

Kelvin, Dec 10, 2023
  5. Kelvin

Kelvin

Seems like this might give me the information I need:
    https://github.com/jfroy/aiobafi6
    Not sure what protobuf libraries are available for Lia, but we’ll see.
    -Kelvin

Kelvin, Dec 10, 2023
  6. Kelvin

Weedo

Hi Kelvin,

You have discovered exactly what I found so far. There is some protobuf libraries available in the lua environment however I don’t believe they can be made available without inclusion via firmware. I haven’t found the time to deconstruct the python in the aiobaf16 files as yet however I did stumble on an example of the unedited string in one of the threads. The protobuf is not nearly as clean as the SenseMe integration however I do love the BAF Haiku so hopefully we can get it happening. Why BAF haven’t got an API is very confusing to me. Keep me posted on how you are going. I won’t get to this before Christmas however I do have a few days slated over the break to try break it down.

Weedo

Weedo, Dec 11, 2023
Ask a Question