Controlling a wireless relay remotely via M1 or RTI system??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by fleetz, Sep 7, 2008.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I have a whole of house wired C-Bus system and at the moment a single wireless relay switch power to a subwoofer. I have a fully implemented Ness M1 system c/w C-Bus interface.

I am currently implimenting a whole of house remote RTI system and want to be able to switch the single wireless relay on and off as part of a macro in the RTI. Both RTI and Ness systems allow me to control C-Bus on the wired side but there is no "gateway" to the wireless side.

The GA on the wireless side is just that, so is it possible to remotely get at the wireless side.

Only have one at present but getting some table lamps soon that I would like to control some wireless dimmers via M1 or the RTI system.

Appreciate anythoughts.

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 7, 2008
  2. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

If you have a wireless gateway, then you can set up the plug adaptor on the wireless side using Toolkit.

Give it a group number and place it in a non-standard lighting application, such as (hex) 39.

Then on the gateway on both the wired and the wireless sides, set the primary application to (hex) 39, and select the option to forward messages to the adjacent side.

Then in the wired system, transmit messages on application (hex) 39 and your selected group. The gateway will grab them and shove them out the other side into wireless-land.

ashleigh, Sep 8, 2008
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Ashleigh,

Thanks for that. The M1 will only support application 56 lighting. I am checking into the RTI as we speak, the C-Bus utility that has been written by RTI seems to support alternative application address so it looks possible. I would have preferred controlling it via the M1, anyway I am fortunate to have another option (I think)

Will post how I get on probably next week as I have guest staying with us so no time to play!:)

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 9, 2008
  4. fleetz

fleetz

I believe Ashleigh is still on leave so I hope someone else will hop in here.

I am still trying to control a wireless relay using my wired DLT. I have now set up an Application 49 on both the wireless and wired side and given a GA of 90. What I am struglling with is assigning one button on the DLT on the wired side the application 49 GA 90 so I can control the relay. I also can not see how you assign the application 49 an GA 90 on the wireless side.

I can not see where you are abale to change the application on a button by button and then set the GA.

Can someone assist me through the haze?

Regards,

Fleetz

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
    fleetz, Sep 29, 2008
  5. fleetz

NickD Moderator

In both the DLT and the wireless gear, you can select either the primary or secondary application on a key by key basis. On the wireless gear you can also assign the output channel(s) to one or the other.

Once you select a valid secondary application on the "Unit Identification" tab, you can select between primary or secondary application for each key.

In the DLT GUI, you select which application each key is on by clicking the green "P" next to each group at the top of the UI... it will change to a blue "S".

In the wireless UI it's in a similar place, but it's a radio button instead.

Nick

NickD, Sep 30, 2008
  6. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that and it all makes perfect sense.

I have setup application 49 both on the wired and wireless side. given a GA of 90 to the device on the wireless side. Then I have selected the second application in both devices...the relay on the wireless side and the DLT on the wired side. Selected the device which I can now see on the button on the DLT but it doesn't switch.

I do a switch using the application in toolkit on the wireless side and it switches ok but no response from the DLT.

Both DLT and Relay have the secondary application selected. I am run 1.8.0 Toolkit so the Radio button you refer to are check boxes so I believe I have followed you instructions to the letter but no switch.

Wonder if you or anyone else may have any further thoughts.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 30, 2008
  7. fleetz

Newman

You will need to turn on the "Send to adjacent network" option on in BOTH sides of the wireless gateway. You can find it on the Connection tabs in Toolkit. This will forward messages between the two networks.

Testing this feature using Toolkit by sending on/off commands to the wireless network won't work because messages coming across from Toolkit have already been routed through the bridge. The wireless Gateway won't forward those on again or race conditions could occur on your network.

Newman, Sep 30, 2008
  8. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Newman,

Thanks and spot on the "Send to adjacent network" on the wired side was not check! 10/10...thanks.

Thanks Nick and Newman.....

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Oct 1, 2008
  9. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Asheigh,

Thought I would feed this back.

I have been able to achieve what I set out to that is being able to control a wireless group on application 56 on the wired side. Here is what I did.

Wireless side....

Create a valid "ghost" application in this case it was application 49 on the wireless side and assigned that as primary on the wireless relay. That enabled me to assign application 56 as secondary on the relay. I then created a GA in application 56 on the wireless side. I then set up the relay for secondary application which is now 56 and assigned the button assignment as normal.

Wired side......

I created a mirror group address and name as that on the wired side under application 56. Then on the DLT button selected primary, then selected the GA and it works fine. With Ness M1 it only looks at controlling lighting application 56, therefore using any other application other 56 won't allow M1 control.

Make sure that you have "Send to adjacent network" selected on both the wired and wirless sides in Toolkit under the wireless network gateway.

Anyway this is what I was wanting to achieve so a happy little vegemite here...

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Oct 1, 2008
  10. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Cool! Excellent!

ashleigh, Oct 9, 2008
  11. fleetz

harvey

Wireless Plug Adaptor

Hi -Once the wireless gateway and plug adapter have been thru the learn process is there a GUI that is meant to show up for the plug adaptor in Toolkit? In my version (1.10) the unit shaows up as an <Error - Failed to scan unit > and No serial#

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
    harvey, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question