controlling a load on another network

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by trucker01, Feb 18, 2014.

1. trucker01

trucker01

Hey a question wrt to interoperability of networks

I have two networks

wireless

wired

On wired I have a load (light)

How do I get a light switch on the wireless network to switch on and off the load on the wired network ?

trucker01, Feb 18, 2014
  2. trucker01

Roosta

Setup up the 2 networks in your toolkit project, with the wireless gateway as the network bridge, then just program the wireless switch to the groupd of the relay you wish to control.. Simplez..

Roosta, Feb 18, 2014
  3. trucker01

trucker01

Thats what I thought but the switch is only giving me groups from the current network.

trucker01, Feb 18, 2014
  4. trucker01

Roosta

When setting up 2 networks you should keep the same groups on both sides of the network.. Easiest way to do this is right from the start.. Setup the main network, copy all the group addresses, then paste them into the new network.. Then set the network bridge to 'send cbus messages to adjacent network'..

If you dont have the group addresses the same across the 2 networks it can cause some undesirable things..

What this will do IIRC is say group address 1 is turned on on network A, then group address 1 on network B will also turn on..

Roosta, Feb 18, 2014
  5. trucker01

trucker01

Yeah i discovered some of them. Eg lights randomly coming on :)

trucker01, Feb 19, 2014
  6. trucker01

Ashley

Networks were originally created for large commercial applications that passed the 100 unit per network or 1000m cable limits. They were never seen in residential installs. This changed when wireless devices were introduced since they require a separate network. In this case you invariably want it to operate as a single network, so setting the 'send cbus messages to adjacent network' in the network bridge automatically propagates GA changes back and forth between the networks. It does require you to manually configure all applications to have the same set of GA's. Generally the best bet is to set up all GA's in the wired network then copy them across to the wireless network. It's a shame that Toolkit doesn't have an option to do this automatically when it sees a wireless network.

Ashley, Feb 19, 2014
  7. trucker01

trucker01

Is the wireless particularly robust? It seems like mine is a bit flakey. Sometimes the buttons don't work on other wireless controls. You press the button on the led indicator comes on but the load on the other point (or the wired through the bridge) doesn't come on. I wonder if the network is dropping out.

trucker01, Feb 23, 2014
  8. trucker01

zei20t

is it possible your gateway is too far from the wireless device?

I have a similar issue with 1 dimmer plug. its furthest from the gateway and sometimes I have to press the button a few times.

maybe change the location, or height, of your gateway?

zei20t, Feb 23, 2014
  9. trucker01

trucker01

Yeah the gateway is 1.5 meters from the closest switch (and its the one im trying to use). Maybe interference i guess.

trucker01, Feb 25, 2014
  10. trucker01

zei20t

how far is it from the furthest switch?

zei20t, Feb 25, 2014
  11. trucker01

Ashley

The STATUS tab on the wireless devices will show you lots of stats about tranmit attempts and errors etc.

Ashley, Feb 25, 2014
Ask a Question