Control via PC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by steve22537, Jun 18, 2007.

1. steve22537

steve22537

What software is required to enable a PC based system to integrate and control a C-Bus network? I would like to use a LCD Wide Touch Screen to interface to the system. It will eliminate the need of multiple screens and systems, could even keep the costs down.

Thanks
    Steve

steve22537, Jun 18, 2007
  2. steve22537

rhamer

Hyperterminal if your keen enough :D

Clipsal sell Homegate.
    I and some others here use CQC.
    There are numerous others as well.

It's really up to personal preference.

Not sure what you mean here.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 18, 2007
  3. steve22537

steve22537

Thanks rhamer,

I have not seen CQC, but will folow the link and investigate. How does it compare with Clipsal's Homegate.

The second part was that I didn't want to have one system controlling the C-Bus and another managing music / video etc, but try to incorporate everything into a single PC.

Steve

steve22537, Jun 18, 2007
  4. steve22537

rhamer

It wouldn't be fair for me to compare CQC and Homegate as it's been some time since I've had a good look at Homegate.

I can however say that CQC will do the music & video as well as a whole heap of other stuff.

http://www.charmedquark.com look for supported devices under the learn tab

And the forum is here http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/index.php

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 18, 2007
  5. steve22537

Phil.H

To be thorough you should probably also have a look at the Digital Homeware setup.

Digital Homeware

Phil.H, Jun 18, 2007
  6. steve22537

brathnach

Just wondering, is not all the RS-232 protocol proprietary? Reason I'm asking is because I'm working on a similar idea for an AV installation. I was of the opinion that that only basic control of c-bus is available via the Public Release. Im just curious as to what level of control you guys have acheived with CQC or any other third party controllers.

thanks,

rob

brathnach, Jun 30, 2007
  7. steve22537

rhamer

Below is an extract from the CQC C-Bus documentation, outlining it's capabilities.
    1. Interfaces directly to a C-Bus PCI.
    2. Communicates in both directions so it can both control and monitor lighting loads
    3. Understands and implements the commands ?on?, ?off?, ?ramp to?, and ?ramp to over time?, both initiated from CQC out, and from the C-Bus network in.
      Auto-discovers the network and the initial Boolean state of the loads (off or not off).
    4. Creates fields that match each of the programmed "Group addresses" it finds on the network
    5. Creates a write only "Command" field that can be used to send any command to any group address, to handle such things as "Area addressing" and "Phantom addressing".
    6. Creates a read only ?Phantom? field that displays any incoming data addressed to a group address that is not a real group address on the network. (this is for display and reference only in this version).
    7. Allows the user to enter a comma separated list of Phantom Group addresses via a text file Phantom.txt, that are converted into normal fields. This is used for displaying and controlling specific Phantom Group addresses.
    8. Allows the user to translate the internal Group Addresses into English names using the Translate.txt file
    Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jul 1, 2007
  8. steve22537

brathnach

Cheers Rohan,

Now that is nice stuff to see!! Ill have to have a serious look at CQC now. Im reading mostly good stuff about it, although I havent read alot about it yet! :) I'm guessing CQC are members of the C-Bus enabled program but I'm just about to start off trying to get a C-Bus system working with a standalone serial controller I have so I'm hoping the Public Release will do the business but I'll revert back on it in...... say 4 hours!!!

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
    brathnach, Jul 1, 2007
  9. steve22537

rhamer

Not yet, but it is changing soon to allow more functionality. All that was achieved using the Public Release Protocol.

But hey, why reinvent the wheel, take a closer look at CQC :)

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jul 1, 2007
  10. steve22537

KERRAW

PC Control of C-BUS / Music via Girder

Slightly off the wall and more for the adventureous amongst you. I currently use Girder and Net Remote to manage my entire C-Bus controlled house. I have my PC connected to the network via the PCI and the Girder program can send and monitor the C-BUS Network. IN addition I have created my own Remote Control using a Dell Axium.

This setup allows me to:
    > add sophisticated interaction with C-BUS (e.g. check the light sensor and at an appropriate time and lightness level switch on external House Lights).
    > Check the lighting level in the office and close the curtains.
    > Control all lights from anywhere in the house through wireless access on the Dell.
    > Listen to any audio or video source in any room in the house (again controlled via the Dell).

To be honest a lot of the above does need the right wiring to be in place and an element of programming (LUA is the programming language used). Saying that the software is completely adaptable and really it is down to imagination to what can be done.

For some more information visit www.promixis.com. BY the way I am not in any way related to Promixis - I just think it is such a great piece of software for integrating all sorts of things. I am am trying to write a fully documented C-BUS interface add-on but not quite there yet.

Gus

KERRAW, Jul 12, 2007
  11. steve22537

2SC

Can you tell us how you manage to control C-Bus via Ginder software?

2SC, Jul 12, 2007
  12. steve22537

KERRAW

Control of C-BUS via Girder

Sorry been away on holiday hence the delay in relying.

Anyway, basically C-BUS send and receives it's data via the enternet connection and all data is exposed on certain ports. It is a matter of creating a channel to these ports so that the data passed round the network by C-BUS is read and further signals are sent out.

If you are interested I can upload some Grider scripts to show you the basics - just let me know.

Cheers

Gus

KERRAW, Jul 20, 2007
  13. steve22537

2SC

Well, I use Homegate. I checked Girder and looks very promising and it is cheap also. I would like to see some screens from your own home integration and why not, some scripts. However, I will have the same problem - lack of support in Greece -

2SC, Jul 20, 2007
  14. steve22537

KERRAW

CBUS, Promixis Girder & Net Remote

I have now been running with C-BUS throughout my house and integration with Girder / Net Remote and have since had a few questions about it. I am therefore posting all my scripts in the hope that someone might be able to use some of it.

Firstly I have attached the main script for Girder (v4 I am using). It does a number of things:
    • Initialise C-BUS
    • Pass on commands from Sky Controller
    • Check for Netremote Commands
    • Read C-BUS ports and react to inputs
    • Control audio & Video

I also enclose some screen dumps from my Net Remote setup - basically this is a full remote control unit on my Dell Axim and controls all lights, music and video / sound.

Any questions please post and I will try and help.

Cheers

Angus

Attached Files:

KERRAW, Sep 25, 2008
  15. steve22537

yamy125

Thanks for the update Angus.

I have been using a lot of your original code posted on the Promixus forums and have basic functionality/feedback up and running nicely thanks.

Now looking into sliders in Netremote, or as a minimum incremental dimmer increases (I think there is a nice Netremote basic variable manipulation function which should do the trick). Have you played with any sliders in NR similar to those they use in Device Manager?

You really must have a look at G5 - really nice and stable bit of software now and the new Netremote Designer 2 (beta) is a dream to use.

Cheers

yamy125, Sep 26, 2008
  16. steve22537

rickd

I two am going to use girder to have two way interaction with C-Bus have the basic script and a pci with both cbus and wirless cbus dimmers. I also have G5 and NR 2.0 Beta and full DM's for my projector and Theta Casablanca want to build a Device Manager for C-Bus for lighting etc.

yamy125 can you post what you have done so far as I am just starting out on this. keen to see what you have done with Angus script?

I have sliders functioning under Girder for my processor DM so can help their. Full two way volume and all channel levels etc. Perahps we could start a thread over at promixis?

thanks Rick

rickd, Sep 29, 2008
  17. steve22537

yamy125

Sure Rick.

I haven't done a heap as only started on the software side last week, but have full two way feedback working in NR for light levels from Girder. All code is pretty much stolen from Angus (thanks!) with some name changes and a few variable additions so my light levels are reported back as percentages in NR. Still haven't ironed out everything and a lot more work to be done to get my sliders happening I'm guessing. A DM plugin would be awesome but way above my programming knowledge :( The guys over at Promixis are very keen to help with anything and are super supportive, so I guess if a few of us put our heads together I'm sure they will assist where possible.

Will see you there!

Cheers

yamy125, Sep 30, 2008
  18. steve22537

rickd

Have angus's script fully working now will get some sliders going in nr and will setup a publish and sub for DM.

One question Lightlevel I assume is for light level sensors? I do not have any in my network so it does come back with errors?

rickd, Oct 7, 2008
  19. steve22537

SeamlessAutomation

PC Control

Just touching on some earlier posts,

Homegate is free and downloadable on the Clipsal website i use it in my home and have windows media centre running alongside it. works well for me and is great because i can remote desktop via my phone and control the house wirelessly,

SeamlessAutomation, Oct 13, 2008
  20. steve22537

KevinH

From the Clipsal Downloads Page:

"The HomeGate software is not FREE software and must be purchased from your C-Bus product supplier."

KevinH, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question