Connection to Merlin 430R Garage Door Opener.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ariddell, May 27, 2009.

1. ariddell

ariddell

Hey All,
    Looking for some advice on how best to expand out the cbus system we have recently installed into integrating with the garage door opener too. Ideally I'd like to be able to trigger the opener from the cbus, and also have an event generated back to the cbus when the opener is triggered from its own remote too if possible.

It's a Merlin 430R garage door opener, and we've got a 4 channel relay module in the garage currently controlling the lights so i'm not sure if this can be used.

I've had a hunt around for info from Merlin on what inputs/outputs it has but haven't been able to find any ueful info so hopefully someone out there has experience with these.

Any advice on how best to proceed/what's likely to be possible would be appreciated.

Cheers

Al

ariddell, May 27, 2009
  2. ariddell

ashleigh Moderator

Are you brave enough to take the garage door opener controller apart and hack its innards :)

My quick look at their web site indicates this may be the only way.

ashleigh, May 27, 2009
  3. ariddell

ariddell

Nope, definitely not that brave...

Is there another make/model of opener that is known to be particularily easy to connect to cbus?

Thanks

Al

ariddell, May 28, 2009
  4. ariddell

paulw11

Hi,

Triggering the door should be a matter of shorting a couple of contacts using the relay.

While not exactly the same as knowing whether the remote triggered the door, you could connect a magnetic reed switch to a C-Bus coupler and at least get an indication of the door status on C-Bus.

Paul

paulw11, May 28, 2009
  5. ariddell

ashleigh Moderator

My quick look at the Merlin 430R shows it has no contact inputs. It may - I just didnt see them in my 4 minute check of the data sheet.

I have a Gliderol door and opener, and it's so big and clunky with big buttons and things in the controller that it would be very easy to get into it and wire an extra relay contact across the button.

How you do all these things varies between controllers, you have to check them carefully.

ashleigh, May 28, 2009
  6. ariddell

paulw11

Hi Ashleigh,

Looks like you are right.
    According to the manual you need the optional M-122 control box to obtain contact closure control.

I guess you could also wire a relay to the button of a wireless remote.

Paul

paulw11, May 28, 2009
  7. ariddell

ariddell

Optional control box looks like it could indeed be the way forward, hadn't noticed it in the install pdf before now but it does indeed look like it would give a nice easy way of adding contact closure through the relay.

Will give the manufacturers a call and see where to buy it.

Thanks.

ariddell, May 28, 2009
Ask a Question