Connection of 5500CN and Wireless gateway

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by martymonster, May 24, 2005.

1. martymonster

martymonster

Our house is approx 95% Cbus light switches (1997-1999) with a few normal light switches.
    I want to replace the wired switches with the Wireless Cbus Saturn switches.
    Before I arrange for some one to connect the above (5500Cn and gateway) to the system, I would just like to know the following

The CBus units (Dimmers, Relays, power supplies, Minder etc) are in a seperate room under the stairs.

Can you take one end of a Cat5 cable and plug it into the 5500 and then take the plug off the other end of the cable and wire it to a dimmer/relay connection which already has Cat5 cable connected to it?
    or
    Can you take one end of a Cat5 cable and plug it into the 5500 and then take the other end of the cable and splice it into an existing Cat5 cable?

Also, can any one recommend (if this is within the forum guidelines) a person/company who can do this in the Essendon (Victoria) area?

Regards
    Martin

martymonster, May 24, 2005
  2. martymonster

Newman

Martin

It's not quite clear from your post what you're trying to achieve with the 5500CN. I gather that you want to replace your 240V switches with C-Bus wireless ones and link them to your C-Bus Wired network? If so, then the 5500CN product (Ethernet interface) is not what you're after. The Wireless Gateway 5800WCGA is all that is required and will do the job nicely, for that is what it is designed to do.

Because C-Bus is essentially a topology-free system you can connect the extra C-Bus Cat5 cable anywhere you like, be it to other DIN Rail mounted C-Bus units or simply cut the cable and splice it in, remembering to preserve the continuity of all 8 conductors on all cables.

Newman, May 24, 2005
  3. martymonster

martymonster

Thankyou for the response.
    I thought that was all there is to it.

I want to add the 5500CN so that I can access and program the new units from my PCs as Toolkit does not interface with Minder.

Martin

martymonster, May 24, 2005
  4. martymonster

Newman

The CNI (5500CN) should do quite nicely then.

Newman, May 24, 2005
Ask a Question