Connecting 2 Small Networks

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Kawobei, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Kawobei

Kawobei

I have 2 small networks one network has 21 units and another has 25.
    they are close enough to join to make them 1 network.

If I do this then rescan and tell Toolkit to readdress them will it also move the lighting group numbers aswell?
    Will the groups continue to hold their current units?
    or would I have to write them all down and set them up from scratch again?

Kawobei, Jul 1, 2014
  2. Kawobei

Roosta

It would be a wipe and start fresh job... Well thats the quickest and most reliable way...

Roosta, Jul 1, 2014
  3. Kawobei

Ashley

If you just joined them and rescanned, Toolkit would unravel the network and give each device a unique unit id, but it wouldn't change any group addresses so you would end up with lots of conflicts. If it were me I would manually redo the smaller network, first giving them unique unit numbers and then unique ga's, then join the networks and scan using the other network database. You would then just have to go though all the new ga's and give them proper names.

Ashley, Jul 1, 2014
  4. Kawobei

Kawobei

Ok that sounds like the plan. Thank you for your help.

Kawobei, Jul 2, 2014
  5. Kawobei

znelbok

This is assuming that he wants the bridge to pass groups changes from one network to the other (i.e., press a button on Group A and a light on Group B turns on).

Doesn;t the bridge allow for duplicate GA's on both networks if the feature is not enabled. If the networks are to be joined only to simplify management from a single point then there may be no need to "unravel" or de-duplicate the networks GA's.

excuse the poor terminology, it has been a very long time since I looked at a network bridge UI - but I think you know what I mean.

Mick

znelbok, Jul 2, 2014
  6. Kawobei

Ashley

From Kawobei's initial post I am assuming he is not planning to bridge the networks, but create a single local network.

Ashley, Jul 2, 2014
Ask a Question