Comparing 5500CN Ethernet Interface 5500PC PCI and 5500PCU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, Oct 7, 2009.

1. industeq

industeq

I have a 5500PC PCI that is using one RS232 port dedicated to communicate to a Square D Powerlink NF3000G3C to control the breaker panel.
    But I have to disconnect when programming via my laptop PC RS232.

I am considering to purchase a 5500CN Ethernet interface and then hardwire into my nearest Hub to then be connected to my local LAN.
    Or concider to use a additional 5500PCU then use the USB port for programming.

My question is do either unit pull any current load from the C-Bus?
    Is the USB faster for download speed or irrelevant for the limited time spent on edits compared to the overall 24/7 run-time.
    With a 5500CN I presume better than the USB as it can see the outside world /WAN and remote editing.
    Having a dedicated RS232 PCI will this affect having a additional PCI or PCU.
    Or can I just save space and get a 5500PACA Pascal ?

Regards
    Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc.

industeq, Oct 7, 2009
  2. industeq

Darpa

Other guys on here way smarter than me can answer in more detail, but to the best of my knowledge, the main difference between the CN, PC, and PCU, is just the connection type. I just prefer 5500CN's, due to the ease of connection over a network, no having to sit next to your CBus gear to program, you can use wifi, or as you said, with the right setup, remote access from anywhere in the world, although from what I'm hearing a wiser is a way better method.
    But there is no real speed difference, as far as I know, the CN and PCU internals just convert back to rs232 anyway, and then into Cbus.

The 5500CN uses an external pwer supply, and draws no current from C-Bus, however the PC and PCU consume 32mA from the C-Bus network.

Darpa, Oct 7, 2009
  3. industeq

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Alan

I have my pci connected to an MSS10 which is similar to having it connected to an cn device..The Mss100 can be picked up on ebay quite cheaply...
    HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Oct 7, 2009
  4. industeq

Newman

The 5500CN draws no power from C-Bus because it has an external power supply. The 5500PC draws 32mA and the 5500PCU draws 22mA from C-Bus.

The speed of all 3 devices is the same. The limiting factor is the data rate of C-Bus, not the speed of the connection to a PC. Some have commented that the connection feels faster on USB than on RS232 but, if it is the case, is most likely due to driver/PC reasons, not the speed of the interface itself.

Having an Ethernet interface on your network is a handy thing because of the remote access it gives you, as Darpa says. If you're considering remote access you'll need to make sure you're Ethernet network is configured appropriately. If you want remote access to your network, have you considered a Wiser?

Having multiple interfaces to the network is not a problem.

The PAC can be used as a Logic Engine or as a USB PC Interface, but not both at the same time. If all you're after is a permanently-connected USB PCI then you're probably better off with a standard 5500PCU.

Newman, Oct 7, 2009
  5. industeq

NickD Moderator

The PCI, PCU, and CNI all use the same C-Bus PC Interface chip under the hood to talk to C-Bus, and this is running at 9600bps, so the speed difference is negligible (the USB driver can have a small effect).

Personally, of the three options above I'd go with the CNI, for convenience of access with wireless ethernet and a laptop. Access from WAN is possible too, however you will have to manage the security concerns yourself.

If you haven't already, consider using a Wiser, as this has the CNI, as well as wireless ethernet, and offer authenticated WAN access for remote programming of itself/C-Bus/Colour CTouch, and heaps of other cool features as well.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
    NickD, Oct 7, 2009
  6. industeq

industeq

Thanks to all whom replied.

What is a Wiser? I have not seen here in the USA but this is not stoping me from looking into & purchasing :)

industeq, Oct 8, 2009
  7. industeq

Wire_Bug

Hi Alan -

I don't want to discourage you from purchasing another interface product, because in the end, it will make your life a little easier.

That being said, you mentioned that you have a Powerlink NF3000G3C controller installed. If you want to, you can use the ethernet port on there for access to your C-Bus network. Just get your G3C controller on your LAN, then from within Toolkit, you can set your Network type to "CNI", and the port you will use is 15000. It will then allow you to pass through your Powerlink controller right onto the C-Bus network - no more disconnecting the serial cable.

Just as a fair warning, this method will be a bit slower since you're going through the Powerlink controller and using its serial connection to the PCI.

HTH

-John

Wire_Bug, Oct 8, 2009
  8. industeq

Wire_Bug

Sorry - I meant to try to answer this in my last response. Wiser is a new product that is actually a bit difficult to describe. Since you are in the US, go check out: www.mysehome.com

There is a pretty good amount of information about it there along with an interactive demo of sorts.

Wiser is a couple of things - at the hardware level, it is a wireless router, with an integrated CNI that allows connection to C-Bus. Functionally, you could describe Wiser as a hosted User Interface. In other words, it is another input(s) unit to your system. What I mean by 'hosted User Interface' is that Wiser serves up your user interface to any number of ethernet connected devices in the home.

The other really cool part about Wiser is the way that you create the user interface - essentially, you don't. It's not like designing a UI for a touch screen where you draw all of the pages and all of the components on each page, then program the functionality for those components. Wiser is programmed in PICED too, but the Wiser GUI is built using a wizard. Basically, you tell it what rooms/zones/locations you have, and you tell it what you need to control in each of those locations, and the UI is created for you based on your choice of 4 templates.

I'm not sure if you stay in contact with your Square D sales rep, but if you're interested in learning more, they should be able to get you a fully interactive DVD along with some literature that can give you a better idea.

-John

Wire_Bug, Oct 8, 2009
  9. industeq

2SC

2SC, Oct 8, 2009
  10. industeq

industeq

Wiser

I have been reading up and even the prior thread http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5198

Great product but I just found out it is not avalable in the USA.
    I figure if it has to go thru UL testing then it will be 2011.

I aprecite all whom got me on the right track.

John, you seem to know about the Sq-D Powerlink, Are you in the USA?

Thanks to all

Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc

industeq, Oct 8, 2009
  11. industeq

Wire_Bug

Alan - you are correct, I am in the USA, and I also happen to be an employee of Schneider Electric. I've been in my position here working specifically with both Powerlink and C-Bus for a little less than 3 years now, which is why I seem to know about Powerlink ;)

As for the availability of Wiser here in the states, I can't tell you exactly when it will be available, but I can tell you that it will be before 2011 :) The only reason I'm not being more specific is simply because I don't know the exact details yet. Since you're interested though, I'll find out and let you know.

-John

Wire_Bug, Oct 8, 2009
  12. industeq

industeq

Thanks for the suggestion on using the NF3000G3C to connect to the Clipsal serial PCI.
    It works GREAT.
    Being a newbie to Clipsal and using a USB to serial converter on my Laptop I kept having to rescan and use the C-Bus toolkit to scan the COM ports as it would just drop out.
    It would show "port in use" even though that is the physical com port I was using on my project:confused:. I would then disconnect the PCI and my USB and try over then it would find the project.
    Not sure if it my PC / cabling, Wi-Fi sharing, Etc.. but now since I loop thru the Powerlink via the Ethernet to the PCI it works so nice as long as I keep my Wi-Fi disabled on my PC:).
    Since I am using the PCS101 software to program the Powerlink NF3000G3C via the Ethernet port all I did is just use the C-Bus toolkit I did id Scan C-Bus Network Interface? and it instantly showed up and found my C-Bus project.
    I have not noticed much speed difference being wired this way either and I have 26 units so far and still adding several more in the next few days.

The Clipsal Ethernet adapter was on back order and I will receive next week but this way I have redundancy.

Now I am scratching my head on how to program the Powerlink PCS101 and the C-Bus Toolkit to interact together.

Alan Dobbs

industeq, Oct 26, 2009
  13. industeq

Wire_Bug

Hey Alan -

I think you'll find it to be pretty easy to make Powerlink and C-Bus work together.

Basically, you will program your C-Bus side through Toolkit, just like normal. Then I would usually start in PCS by defining your zones, then move on and define your inputs, then go back to zones and associate inputs with each one.

When you are defining your inputs in PCS, you will notice that there is an option for C-Bus - click on that and it will take you to a page where you can tell this particular Powerlink Input to follow, or react to a C-Bus Group Address. Your Tag database will not be available in PCS, so you will just use the Group Addresses themselves. For this reason, a lot of times, I will print out the Toolkit documentation for a particular project so I have a hard copy to reference as I'm working my way through PCS.

Have fun setting it all up!

-John

Wire_Bug, Oct 26, 2009
  14. industeq

industeq

I will send a private PM

industeq, Oct 26, 2009
  15. industeq

emillika

I am also interested in the Wiser controller. I don't have an easy way to connect my laptop to my 5500PC and was looking at a 5500CNI to make programming easier.

My system has been rock solid for a couple years and I was an earlier adopter here in the US. I am looking to add some wireless, hvac and other goodies to my setup soon.

Thanks.

emillika, Dec 10, 2009
  16. industeq

ashleigh Moderator

If you have a 5500PC and want to use it from a laptop, MOST common USB->serial converters can be used and will work fine.

We use and recommend the DonTronics EasySync US232R-100, which you can purchase on-line here: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/easysync-premium-gold-usb-rs232-adapter-cable-1-meter-cable.html

This may be the cheapest way to go. We have used these for a number of years and find them to be rock-solid and a good price. (And he offers a money back guarantee).

ashleigh, Dec 11, 2009
  17. industeq

industeq

In the USA any typical USB to serial adapter will work.
    I recommend to get one with data LED's (RX~TX) to see if working while transferring data.
    If you use a Ethernet Network Interface you can plug into a wireless hub then use the WiFi.
    I have been using the WiFi to program and is so useful as you can walk into the room and test each function.
    Better yet tease the neighbors with the ? Want to see me turn off the house from my PC?

Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc

industeq, Dec 11, 2009
Ask a Question