Commissioning via DCDALCIP250-2

Discussion in 'DALI Software' started by djb383, Mar 14, 2018.

1. djb383

djb383

I am connecting to the DCDALCIP250-2 using the DCCABKIT6 programming cable. I am then using the Dali configuration wizard software to address the devices on the network.

This only gives me access to the devices on the Dali A network.
    Is there any way to access the Dali B network for configuration without having to rewire it to the A port?
    Plugging the programming cable into the B port results in a failure to connect.

The Simple Wizard works OK but doesn't give me the same flexibility with addressing options to keep things nice and logical.

Also, am I correct in assuming that Dali Buildings does not work via USB and the DCCABKIT6 programming cable?

djb383, Mar 14, 2018
  2. djb383

wilma288

Hi When Programming via the DCCABKIT6 Cable from memeory leave it plugged into port A, dont plug it in to port B.
    With the programing cable plugged into Port A select Line B in the Simple Dali Wizard and it will find all the devices on Line B

DALI Buildng does not work via USB and you will also need an installer dongle from memory

wilma288, Mar 14, 2018
  3. djb383

djb383

Thanks. Yes, Simple Wizard is working fine. Leaving it connected just to line A does indeed find devices on line B.
    However the Simple wizard won't let me assign specific addresses to particular Dali devices though.

I do have an installer dongle and I am trying to use the "Dali Configuration Wizard" aka "DCBM Wizard." It works with the USB programming cable but will only find devices on the A network. If I connect the programming cable to the B network it says "Failed to connect." So at the moment, if I want to assign a specific address to a device on the B network, I have to move the Dali wiring over to the A network where the DCBM Wizard can see it.

Is there a way to get the DCBM Wizard to see the B network? Or, is there another piece of software that will let me use the USB programming cable via the DCDALCIP250-2 to configure both A and B networks with specifically allocated addresses?

Cheers.

djb383, Mar 15, 2018
  4. djb383

wilma288

From what I recall if all you reset all you devices to default and start from scratch the wizard lets you address the fittings individually by a process of elimination using simple yes no answers.

In the past I had a site which I had to default and then plug each fitting in one at a time and rescan to achieve this, fortunately these were plug in fittings and exposed cable tray.

No sure about the DCBM as I think that more in conjunction with the building controllers and connecting vi IP

Cheers

wilma288, Mar 15, 2018
  5. djb383

cramer

Hi djb383,

Not sure if you've had this resolved already, apologies as I don't frequent here very often, I figured I'll reply for the benefit of others. Basically there is some good and bad news.

Yes, you can use DCBM wizard to program line B, but you need 2 x DCCABKIT6 cables connected at the same time to do it. This means you need a minimum of 3 USB ports to program line B once you account for the dongle too.

So the DCDALCIP250-2 has a few different DALI modes, DCBM Wizard uses DALI mode 1 and Simple Wizard uses the newer and better mode 3. This mode 3 allows communications across lines with a single connection, however the power supply to interface B comes from interface A, so when using Simple Wizard you don't see a problem.

Unfortunately DCBM Wizard uses mode 1 and the ability to communicate between interfaces doesn't exist so you need to plug into interface B directly, but since the power supply comes from interface A you need that plugged in too. Please note if you're short on USB ports, only line B and the dongle need to be in the PC with DCBM wizard, line A is just providing power in this scenario, so you can connect it elsewhere.

Once you have a powered DCCABKIT6 cables in both interfaces, you should see a different com port in the drop down menu but no mention of which line it is connected to, select this secondary port and hit connect.

If you don't see the secondary port, try restarting DCBM Wizard, if still not there, check your DCCABKIT6 is running the correct driver on both cables and maybe shut down and reboot your PC.

Hope that helps, best of luck.

Regards,
    A former DALI trainer.

cramer, Jun 21, 2018
  6. djb383

djb383

Hi cramer,

Thanks very much for those tips and tricks... it all makes sense now. I will give the dual cables a go on the next gig.

Much appreciated!

djb383, Jun 21, 2018
  7. djb383

cramer

Not a problem,

Also just one thing I forgot to mention, if you have any issues connecting with DCBM Wizard it could be stuck in mode 3 if you've been using Simple Wizard before hand.

You can manually force it into mode 1 by holding On A and quick pressing Test A. You should see a couple of quick flashes on the Line A indication light to confirm it worked.

Have fun.

cramer, Jun 21, 2018
  8. djb383

jymster

HI all, does anyone know how to put the DCDALCIP250-2 back into Mode 3? I am trying to use Simple Wizard and it will not see or recognise the DCDALCIP250-2. I suspect it is in Mode 1, but for the life of me I can not find any instructions on how to put it back into Mode 3. Please help!

jymster, Jun 16, 2020
  9. djb383

Pickle96

Hold on a and press test b

Pickle96, Jul 12, 2020
  10. djb383

jymster

Great, thanks. I'll try that.

jymster, Jul 20, 2020
Ask a Question