Colour Touchscreen dead NIC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ddsim27, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ddsim27

ddsim27

The NIC on my touchscreen appears to have died - I can no longer connect to the screen through PICED (on either the front or back connections) and it has lost all ethernet network connectivity. In the log of my switch it shows that the CTC NIC has being coming up and down every few seconds (so I have had to disconnect the ethernet cable).

Is the NIC replaceable or could I use an USB NIC?

ddsim27, Apr 30, 2012
  2. ddsim27

ddsim27

Given that there has been no responses, how do I program the unit without using the NIC? Can I write directly to the SD card?

ddsim27, May 8, 2012
  3. ddsim27

NickD Moderator

Unfortunately the NIC is integrated on the board, so you can't replace it. The OS image also probably doesn't have the drivers for a USB NIC, and there is no way to install them. You

Try Tech Support to see if they have any advice or have seen this before (I certainly haven't heard of it).

Other than that all I can suggest is to kick up a stink with the installer or your local rep.

Nick

NickD, May 8, 2012
  4. ddsim27

ddsim27

Thanks for this. It is what I feared.

I will contact the local rep.

ddsim27, May 8, 2012
  5. ddsim27

tobex

I expect that the NIC is an isolated chip on the main board. If so that can be physically removed and a new chip installed.

If the NIC is a subcomponent of a large processor chip, that can be removed also but only Clipsal can make it boot up again.

tobex, May 8, 2012
  6. ddsim27

Sea Captain

I have actually installed a USB ethernet dongle when the NIC on one of my touchscreens started playing up. It worked fine.

I posted on this last year here:

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7241

You need to plug a keyboard and mouse into the unit to get into windows control panel/command prompt etc and add the USB dongle drivers to the CTC from a USB stick. You may also need to install some other windows components first to do this from memory. Also will need to have the xp install disk on the USB stick to add some needed missing bits, but it is possible. Unfortunately I didn't document the process so can't provide a step by step guide. I've also installed a larger flash card (16GB) so there may not be enough space on the factory fitted one to do this either.

There is a high risk you could brick your CTC, so I don't condone any of the above actions.

As stated in my original post, the NIC on mine started working again after disassembling / reassembling the unit, so probably just a bad connection. Tech Support may be able to get it going if you send it in for repair.

Cheers

SC

Sea Captain, May 10, 2012
  7. ddsim27

tobex

I recently dismantled a very high end piece of electronics and refinished the heat sink compound with the most expensive compound I could find.

I added solder to a heat and current sensitive area which had too little solder.

You may find that the same works for you. But if there is some movement in the connector it will most likely go offline some time in the future if it is ever moved.

tobex, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question