Colour Touchscreen Crashing

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by tonyr, Aug 21, 2005.

1. tonyr

tonyr

We have a site with 2x colour touch screens. Every couple of weeks they are crashing and I have to go to site and turn then on and off. It is a different screen each time. This is coming a pain to us and the customer and giving them a bad name.

Typical they are running with main page showing. customer selects an option and it crashes. Typical they come up with the PICED wizard start up, sometimes they can not find a file or bit map file. Turning them off/on fixes the problem but with the switch in the ceiling it is a pain.

We are considering for all future sites making the switch more accessable and making the power to the Ctouch on a breaker to make the turning off/on easier.

It mainly occurs on Monday morning (they have not been in use for a couple of days).

We are also having similar problems on another site. We have shown the customer how to reset the touch screen but not all customers will be keen on doing this.

Are other people having similar experiences?

tonyr, Aug 21, 2005
  2. tonyr

Darren Senior Member

We are not aware of anyone else having these problems. There are lots of units here which have been running for a long time with no problems.

Tech Support have passed on the details of your error message and we are looking into it.
    The PICED wizard should only appear if the project file can't be found. Similarly, the error message about images missing is also only if a file can't be found. Did these particular problems only occur one one C-Touch ?
    There is a reset button behind the front panel.

Darren, Aug 22, 2005
  3. tonyr

Ray

Have you got heaps of jpegs or similar in the colour programme???
    I had a crashing probelm and all it was were that the pics were too big, once converted to a smaller size etc the problem was solved.

Ray, Aug 27, 2005
  4. tonyr

Ray

one other thing with the power supply... What we do now is hide it in the house - go down thru the wall and out through a plate - this way you can get to it and it wont overheat in the roof space which will commonly get to 60 deg +++.

Ray, Aug 27, 2005
  5. tonyr

Nathan

Ive had a similar problem when a C-Touch is not is use (owner away for the weekend) and crashes with a error file not found or missing. Once you press ok it will bring up the piced software startup page where you are prompted to select project which it cant find. A power down and several minutes later it starts up with the correct file and all is well. Embarrassing when the owner calls on a Sunday and asks why does it do this. On our project there are a couple of JPEG images and a tiled template page and a lot of alpha blending. Any info would be appreiciated of how to fix this problem.

Nathan, Aug 28, 2005
  6. tonyr

Darren Senior Member

We have recently found that projects which contain very large images (much larger than the screen) will cause the Colour C-Touch to crash occasionally. We recommend using some external software (Microsoft Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor, Photo Shop etc) to re-scale any large images to their correct size before using them.

There is an error warning (number 104) about this when the project is checked.

Darren, Sep 1, 2005
  7. tonyr

Potemkin

CTC Also crashing!!!
    I've only recently installed a CTC and was told it was a pre-release unit (don't know if this might be an issue). I've got 1 jpeg (7.47kB) on the screen and one sound file (wma, 28.3 kB). However, in the project's directory I've got a number of larger jpegs which I used when coming to grips with PICED. Do these larger files get transferred to the CTC as well? If so... why does it crash if they are never loaded?
    :confused:

Potemkin, Oct 6, 2005
  8. tonyr

Darren Senior Member

We have found out a little more about this problem. It appears that some software we use (not developed by us) has a memory leak which causes the Colour C-Touch to eventually crash. If you have a small project loaded, C-Touch will run for a lot longer before crashing than if you have a large project loaded. Only files used by the project affect it.

Needless to say, we have been working hard to resolve this issue.

Darren, Oct 7, 2005
  9. tonyr

The Don

If it's any help, these are the error messages from our last CTC 'crash'.
    Bear with me as I can't yet do the screen shots.

Main page - press for Irrigation and immediately the following message:
    Run Scheduler:HomeGate.exe - Application Error
    The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x77e738b2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
    The Don, Oct 11, 2005
  10. tonyr

The Don

Sorry, the rest of that post should have continued

"OK Help

when OK is pressed, the CTC seems to try and reboot but eventually comes up with the message:
    "Error 14034
    Error reading file" and then 'hangs'.

When the reset button is pushed, everything starts again and we haven't had a problem for at least a week.

The Don, Oct 11, 2005
  11. tonyr

Nathan

Any news on the fix for the colour C-Touch problem that crashes every two weeks or so. Its been a while and we have some customers that are getting angry??????

Nathan, Nov 1, 2005
  12. tonyr

Richo

For latest info on any urgent issues please maintain contact direct with Techinical Support. The forums are not an official support resource.

(BTW this issue is a huge priority, but I'm not up to speed with the latest)

Richo, Nov 1, 2005
  13. tonyr

Darren Senior Member

We are about to receive an update to some software which we hope will fix this problem. It is impossible at this stage to say when this problem will be fixed. Unfortunately, it is largely beyond our control :(

Darren, Nov 1, 2005
  14. tonyr

Sam

What There is A Problem ( Only One !!).

Sorry Guys But I am about Sick Of them and Wish they were still not Released.

It seams that I am Not alone !!!!

Sorry Again But this has been building for a while ! I am sick of talking with tech support and being told that I am the only one having Problems !!.

The answer they give is to download the latest version and try again.
    I have now done this 5 Times now ( Gave up Counting)

The customers are sick of it and the product is getting a bad name.
    I am sick of Going back for Free to Download new Software.
    Who is going to Pay for OUR Time ?My customers have already said they are not !. I think it has gone on long enough.

I am just trying to tell it like it is.

Does Anyone else Agree ?

Sam.

Sam, Nov 1, 2005
  15. tonyr

marka

crashing screen

you are not alone.

we have only installed 1 (under protest) and it crashes at least once a week

it gets very frustrating and i am runnng out of stories to tell the customer

please fix it soooooon.

marka, Nov 1, 2005
  16. tonyr

PSC

Join the club boys.

Does anyone else have a problem with the design of the facia's?

I beleive that they are of a poor design and are painful to get on & off, especially when the units crash so often.

After receiving your weekly phone call from your unhappy client, you try asking them to remove the facia, press the reset button, cross their fingers & hope that the unit comes back on-line and then ask them to put the facia back on.

Come on guys get your act together, this has been going on far too long!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
    PSC, Nov 1, 2005
  17. tonyr

Richo

We understand the pain this problem is causing in the field. We are getting an absolute roasting from the sales and management folk. We are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue and are currently waiting on a supplier to fix a critical fault in their software. We are bringing to bear all the pressure we can on this supplier.

Richo, Nov 1, 2005
  18. tonyr

PSC

Should this have been out sourced in the first place?

Hasn't out sourcing given you grief in the past? M!nder...

PSC, Nov 1, 2005
  19. tonyr

Duncan

Peter,

Take it up with your local CIS office.. This is a support forum maintained by Engineers and Training and Technical Support staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
    Duncan, Nov 1, 2005
  20. tonyr

mikegriff

<quote>This is a support forum maintained by Engineers and Training and Technical Support staff.<quote>

And much we appreciate it !

and I'm sure a little bit of Huffing and Puffing doesnt go amiss either ;-)
    Mike

mikegriff, Nov 1, 2005
Ask a Question