Colour CTouch screen blank

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by i-Home, Jun 21, 2008.

1. i-Home

i-Home

I have a colour ctouch which had been giving problems including throwing up error message dialogue boxes every so often. When brought back from the clients home and powered up the screen remained blank for at least 10 mins but then displayed as normal. I changed the project on the unit to a different one to see if the issues were cleared by uploading a totally different project. The most noticeable issue seen then was that the unit was a lot slower than the most recent ctouch unit we had installed. Albeit this potentially faulty ctouch unit is only about 6mths old. The unit OS was running SP1 which was highlighted as a potential problem by UK CIS tech support, so a new flash card was sent out with SP2 on it.

Today I went to change the cards, but before I powered down the unit the ctouch screen was flickering, so I went to the Tools menu to select Re-start. On doing this the unit did not reboot but ground to a halt. So I removed the glass front and pressed the hard re-set button. On doing this the unit power cycled but did not boot up properly. After about 5-10mins booting it started throwing up error dialogue boxes in front of the Clipsal startup page. It didn't get past this stage, so I powered it down.

I then changed the flash card as instructed in the pdf guide. Since this time the screen has remained blank, but the unit can be found using the Ctouch CTU on the network with either the new or old card inserted. With the new card I've been able to update Homegate to 4.3 and the server ver to 1.6, and even upload a project to the unit.

Does this sound like a hardware issue with the screen remaining blank continuously?

When the new flash card had been inserted and the firmware and project uploaded I took a screen grab using the CTU. The saved jpeg (see attached) shows the last display shown on the unit which was with the old flash card trying to boot up and "An unexpected error occurred" window in front.

Is there anything else I should or can do to test this unit before sending it back?

Stephen

Attached Files:

i-Home, Jun 21, 2008
  2. i-Home

ashleigh Moderator

Send it back. It sounds like a hardware fault has sprung up.

ashleigh, Jun 22, 2008
  3. i-Home

i-Home

It's been left untouched running for 24hrs now, and still no display on the screen. I've just powered it down and put the old flash card back in. It booted up and still no display.

Is there anything that could have caused this condition?

Stephen

i-Home, Jun 22, 2008
  4. i-Home

ashleigh Moderator

This is probably whats known in the industry as "an infant mortality failure".

In other words, something has carked in in the early weeks / months of operation.

It's a pain in the backside, but it's just one of those things. :(

ashleigh, Jun 22, 2008
  5. i-Home

amberelectrics

And yes "carked it" is also an industry standard phrase, although more persitent failures to to have phrases from the profanisaurus.

amberelectrics, Jun 22, 2008
Ask a Question