Colour ctouch screen beeping

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by i-Home, Oct 18, 2011.

1. i-Home

i-Home

Hi

I have a colour ctouch installed which over the last year started "self-pressing". By that I mean you'd here the unit beep and the screen would have moved onto the next page as if someone had pressed the screen. This started out being very seldom, perhaps happening once every few days, or maybe even less than that, but recently has got much more frequent to a point where it has been turned off a few times as the beeping got so annoying. And some buttons had to be moved around on the screen as the unit was turning those circuits on itself.

The ctouch is a few years old now so not within warranty. The schedules and scenes held on it still work as expected. Changing the sound settings so as to "mute" the sound does reduce the beep volume but it can still be heard. Obviously I'd rather fix the "self-touching" issue rather than simply stop the beeping noise being heard.

Any ideas?

Stephen

i-Home, Oct 18, 2011
  2. i-Home

Darren Senior Member

I have only heard of this once before. It turned out that the glow of the screen at night was attracting large flying bugs which would fly into the screen and bounce off with enough force to register a "touch" on the screen.

If this is not the cause, then I can only think of a few other possibilities:
    1. The bezel is touching the screen somehow. Try removing it to see if it makes a difference.
    2. Infrared remote control commands are being received. Check to see whether your project has any components using IR control. You will see received IR commands in the touch screen log if you enable "info" messages. I think that IR commands do not actually cause the screen to beep though.
    3. You may have faulty hardware or a loose connection. Since your screen is out of warranty, there is no great harm in dismantling the screen and check that the ribbon cables connecting the screen to the circuit board are seated properly.
    4. Your house is possessed by poltergeists. Have your house exorcised ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    Darren, Oct 18, 2011
  3. i-Home

i-Home

Hi Darren

Def not this as it's happening often many times a minute whilst I'm standing beside it.

Well, it's not the bezel touching as the bezel is off at the moment, in case this had been the case. I've also tried the IR receive but again no. And perhaps before calling in the priest I'll dismantle the screen although the strange thing is that this has got gradually worse worse over the year rather than simply happening all of a sudden.

Stephen

i-Home, Oct 19, 2011
  4. i-Home

NickD Moderator

The touch overlay is resistive, so it's possible it could give false triggers if there were a bad contact or contamination on the board. It could also be physical damage to the touch overlay (eg if a sharp object were used instead of a finger or stylus).

An interesting test might be to disconnect the touch overlay temporarily and see if the false triggering still occurs. If it doesn't then it's the touch overlay itself, otherwise it's a problem on the PCB.

Nick

NickD, Oct 19, 2011
  5. i-Home

leeandj

Have there been any further discoveries in relation to the 'self-pressing' issue?

I am now having this problem. The screen is a mark 3, and only about 6 months old.
    --------------------------------------
    Firstly, we sold this property in May, and have been house-sitting for the new owners for the last 5 weeks. When we first arrived back here in October, the new owners reported that the touch-screen had been beeping and locking up, and asked us to see if we could resolve the problem.

Initially, there seemed to be no problem that we could see. However, after a few days, we were woken in the early hours of the morning (about 2am) by lights turning on at random and the touch-screen was beeping. When we looked at it, it was clear that buttons on the screen were being 'pressed' rapidly, causing the light to be turned on. The screen was completely unresponsive while this was happening - it was not possible to manually activate any buttons. There was nothing touching the screen at the time. We restarted the touch-screen and it resumed normal behaviour.

There were no further occurrences of this until yesterday evening at about 6:30pm. Again, the screen started beeping, and a button on the screen was turning on and off rapidly. Note that this was happening on a completely different part of the screen from the earlier incident. I was able to capture this on video - I will try to upload the video somewhere so you can see it.

This morning, I have set the log running, so that if it occurs again we can see if there are any clues there.

leeandj, Nov 26, 2013
  6. i-Home

Brendan Rogers

One other thing to check: Has anyone cleaned the touchscreen with a wet cloth, sprayed window cleaner or similar onto it, or operated it with wet hands (all of which are a definitely NOT recommended as per the Care Instructions in the user guide)?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    Brendan Rogers, Nov 27, 2013
  7. i-Home

leeandj

Unfortunately I can't be sure, as the problem seemed to begin after we left the property.

leeandj, Nov 27, 2013
  8. i-Home

ashleigh Moderator

If sounds like the touch panel is playing up.

Unfortunately, some people like spraying window cleaner onto these things - which run runs down inside and messes up the electronics. This *may* be an explanation for whats happened here.

As I'm not familiar with how the Mk3 has been constructed, I can't give any further suggestions.

ashleigh, Nov 29, 2013
  9. i-Home

Roosta

My suggestion is that if the unit is a mk3 it is almost certainly withon warranty period so why not just simply organise a replacement under warranty..

Roosta, Nov 29, 2013
  10. i-Home

Deanmurphy87

I also have a mark 3 screen and it just started doing the same thing before Xmas.. The only advise I have been given is to reprogram it and calibrate the screen but neither of these ideas fixed it.. My screen is basically unresponsive now. Only the remote works to get me out of trouble

Deanmurphy87, Jan 19, 2014
  11. i-Home

Matty

Hi Deanmurphy87,

If you've tried recalibrating &reprogramming and the touch screen has become unresponsive to touch you'll need to contact tech support to arrange replacement.

Regards,

Matty

Matty, Feb 5, 2014
Ask a Question