Colour C-Touch restarting loop

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by PSC, May 18, 2006.

1. PSC

PSC

Good morning everybody :)

In today's lesson we are going to find out why my Colour C-Touch is in a rebooting loop. :confused:

I went to connect to the screen last night and it gave me a number of warning messages -

This is not the current firmaware

This software needs updatinging etc etc.

So I tranfered the 3.6.0.zip firmware to the unit and now it gets caught in a rebooting loop. The only info it display for a short period of time in a black DOS (like) window is "The program is too big to fit in memory".

Any suggestions? :(

PSC, May 18, 2006
  2. PSC

mikegriff

Just a follow up to this
    I have put ALL the new stuff on
    PICED_3_6_0_Firmware_Upgrade_Setup.zip
    HomeGate_3_6_0_Upgrade_Setup.zip
    Works well
    but whenever I put new data on the CTC it says I'm running an old version for operating system

Is this the new flash exchange??
    thanks
    Mike

mikegriff, May 18, 2006
  3. PSC

Nobes

Peter,

I have had a similar problem when updating firmware. It was the first one I did and did not wait for the screen to re-start itself (can take up to 10mins!).
    I did not get the same message as you but maybe the firmware upgrade did not install properly.

In regards to the old operating system, i have been told By CIS that this will be the card changeover that is coming soon.

Nobes, May 19, 2006
  4. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

PSC: Sorry - I've NO IDEA whats going on here. Not heard of this. Can you contact technical support please. It sounds like it is not loading the O/S, if the reboot loop is on a short cycle.

Everybody else: Flash card exchange is coming. PICED 3.6 & HomeGate for CTC 3.6 will work on existing units (with the exception of the PSC detector), but the new facilities are not available unless you exchange the flash card.

Unfortunately the people in CIS setting this up have been sick, which has delayed the roll out of the exchange arrangements. An announcement will be out soon.

ashleigh, May 19, 2006
  5. PSC

mikegriff

Hi Ashleigh
    Can we assume that the roll out will take the form of us sending CIS back the origional Flash card AFTER receipt of the new one.
    Otherwise a lot of Automated houses are going to look pretty sad whilst waiting for the postman!!
    Mike

mikegriff, May 19, 2006
  6. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

That's the plan...

Details soon.

ashleigh, May 20, 2006
  7. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

Oh - one more thing.

Please please wait for the CTC to restart when downloading an update. It can damage the O/S if you restart it manually part way through the update cycle. (No different to powering your PC off 1/2 way through installing the operating system from CD's - the result is it don't go real well after.)

The new release on the updated flash cards has a shorter update cycle interval, so the typical time from transfer to reboot has around 2-5 minutes shaved out.

ashleigh, May 20, 2006
  8. PSC

PSC

Um, yeah, thanks Ashleigh...

Some sort of status indicator would be quite handy don't you think?

So impatient imbo's like me don't press the reset button when you think the screen has locked up!

PSC, May 21, 2006
  9. PSC

PSC

What a Save!

It's OK everybody; it's all sorted :) :) :)

I connected a keyboard to the Colour C-Touch, interrupted the boot cycle, ran the CTC client manually, re-loaded the update, waited patiently until the C-Touch re-booted ITSELF and then downloaded the project :D :D :D

Special thanks to Mr Propeller Head PhilH for the keyboard suggestion. ;)

PSC, May 21, 2006
  10. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

Goodo. The new card also applies all manner of warnings and so on about reset during the update...

Unfortunately the way the updates are applied is by magic in the OS, so it is not possible to display a progress indication. The best we can do is a "do nuffin or you bwake me" message.

ashleigh, May 21, 2006
  11. PSC

Phil.H

Maybe the warning about "patience" does not need to be a warning at all. Why not a message like " now is a good time to make a cup of tea". The programmer will benefit from a break and the antioxidants in the tea not to mention the caffeine. The message could go on to request the use of cold water in the kettle for two reasons. 1. Cold water has more oxygen than previously boilded water and therefore better taste & 2. Cold water takes longer to boil, so the firmware upgrade time goes unnoticed. ???

PSC - You have a unique way of saying "thank you" :) Maybe it's just you that is unique - let's hope so...

Phil.H, May 21, 2006
  12. PSC

PSC

You know I still luv ya Phil :) :) :)

Come to think of it, my mum always said I was special :confused: :confused: :confused:

PSC, May 21, 2006
Ask a Question