Colour C-Touch Logic stopping

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Nobes, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Nobes

Nobes

Has anyone had issues with the logic stopping in the colour c-touch?

It seems that every few days the screen needs to be reset for the logic to start running again?

Nobes, Sep 5, 2005
  2. Nobes

Darren Senior Member

What are the symptoms of the logic "stopping" ?

Are there any error messages ?

Are you sure that the logic engine has definitely stopped ?

Darren, Sep 6, 2005
  3. Nobes

tonyr

I have had problems with the logic stopping. We found that altering a schedule (using the all) will stop the logic. There is no warning this will occur when you edit the schedule.

tonyr, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Nobes

Nobes

I have only 3 logic modules running on a colour screen. One is a simple module for interacting with the security system to turn some lights on in the house if the system is disarmed and it is after sunset. Another is the toilet fan logic borrowed from the examples section :D . The final one is like a screensaver, it rolls through pages every 100secs that I have pictures on. There is a button on one of the screens to start and stop this one.

All logic compiled and no errors.

It appears that every couple of days the logic stops (i.e I first notice it when the toilet fan does not come on). I thought it might have something to do with the 'screensaver' so I did not activate it after re-loading the project Monday.

Unfortunatly yesterday afternoon the toilet fan was not working again. I tried to activate the 'screensaver' but that did not work. This leads me to think the logic has stopped. If I re-start the screen it starts to work again.

I have the log running, but it does not show any logic errors. However, the log does come up with time out and user loged out messages every now and then? what is this?

Chris.

Nobes, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Nobes

The Don

Our colour touch screen crashed last night for no apparent reason - no schedules were running or scenes activated and it had worked like a dream for two weeks. An error message (14034 - cannot read file) appeared, the screen seemed to try and reboot(?) a couple of times but kept coming up with the same error message and has now closed down completely and we have a white blank screen until our electrician can return to hopefully reinstall the project.

The Don, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Nobes

Darren Senior Member

You are quite right. This has been fixed in V3.1.12 which should be released as V3.2 soon. This is quite likely the cause of the problem encountered by Chris.

Darren, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Nobes

Nobes

Cheers,

Thanks for that.

Nobes, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Nobes

The Don

Just a follow-up for what it's worth. Our 'crashed' screen just needed to have it's power source turned off and on again and it has re-started and is running smoothlyagain.

The Don, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Nobes

Darren Senior Member

Note that there is a reset button under the front panel. This saves you from having to switch power off then on again.

Darren, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Nobes

The Don

NOMP (Not on my panel)

Darren, the reset sounds to be a wonderful thing and I humbly defer to your superior knowledge but there isn't one apparent on our colour screen (50xxCTC Series). I even checked by taking the front plate off and nothing looks obvious. The User's Guide doesn't mention a reset switch. Without unscrewing it from its mounting it's going to be easier to go the mains board.

The Don, Sep 8, 2005
  11. Nobes

Nobes

The reset button is in the bottom right hand corner above the IR target.

It is just a small metal button say 4mm x 4mm.

Nobes, Sep 8, 2005
  12. Nobes

The Don

Cheers. Thanks for that. Good to know and I hope not to have to use it.
    Again, for what it's worth, from a consumer's point of view, this colour screen is one very fine piece of technology.

Regards

The Don, Sep 8, 2005
  13. Nobes

Dave Byron

The reset button is on the bottom right hand corner area (looking from the front) and is a silver square button with a white centre, push and it will reboot.

dave

Dave Byron, Sep 9, 2005
  14. Nobes

jay

All well & good having a reset button behind the fascia but when comes time to actually use it (becoming far too frequently) it has become apparent that it is far easier just to have an end user (sometimes even electricians) flick the circuit breaker on/off as tutoring them on how to safely remove & reinstall the fascia itself (without breaking it) can make such a simple process such as pressing a reset button turn into an on-site service call :(
    May I suggest a way of pressing the reset button via a small hole located on the bottom or sides of the unit that could be accessed with someting like a ball point pen with having to remove the fascia.
    IMHO - the choice to use a Microsoft Windows based product would have deemed it necessary to provide a big red button at least 50mm in diameter labelled "Press to Reset" mounted on the front. Or better still, let's make it automated by hooking up the CTC PSU to a C-Bus relay channel & have it pulse off for 30 seconds every 2 hours 24/7 ;)
    But seriously, it's a great product when it's working - reliability lets the product down :(

jay, Sep 11, 2005
  15. Nobes

Darren Senior Member

Have you reported details of the errors to Technical Support so that the fault can be tracked down ?

Darren, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Nobes

jay

Yes, I have called Tech Support twice to report errors & both times been advised to reset the touch screen to see if it reoccurs. Both times that I did have info to supply, I was told they had never heard of that type of error before. Most times the CTC locks up with only the welcome splash screen on the display. The other problem is that we cannot rely on the end-user to convey accuratley the error meesages (if any) that appear. They just want their CTC to work. So to avoid an expensive & time consuming on-site service call to inspect the system and resolve it by pressing the reset button... that is exactly what we ask the customer to do - reset the CTC. They are a least happy until the next time their CTC locks up.

We have implemented a new error reporting system for one project so we can hopefully get some more relevant info regarding these issues. Previously we were not getting suffient info to be able to report to Tech Support anyway.

There are some other relative points I would like to discuss but this forum is not the ideal place to do so.

Drop me an email [email protected]

Cheers

jay, Sep 12, 2005
Ask a Question