Color touch screen V2 power supply 5000CTCPS/2

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by CABrouwes, Apr 17, 2017.

1. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

Where can I find a power supply for the touch screen (version 2 - 5080CTC2) or does anyone know the specs ?

I live in the US where the c-bus product line has been discontinued and I can't procure clipsal parts easily. I need to replace my old my b/w touchscreen. I bought an apparently unused color touch screen 5080CTC2 on ebay but lacks the power supply.

I think i was able to figure out some of the wiring of the 7-pin connector, 3 pins are for the DC+ and 3 pins are DC-. When powered under 5.6V, the device comes to life temporarily. The ethernet port lights up but after a few seconds the screen flickers, there is clicking sound (relay?) and the device shuts down .. and then it turns itself on again for a another cycle.

I have not been able (yet) to figure out what the 7th pin is about. It is not connected to the two other sets of pins but it shows a positive voltage when the device is powered. Also, based on electrical tests, I can guess there is a large condensator between the pin and the negative pole. What is the role of the pin ? Perhaps it provides some sort of feedback to the power pack to adjust the voltage based on line loss ? Suggestions are welcome !

Of course, it could be that the device is just fried and the start up difficulties have nothing to do with the power supply but I hope not. A few years ago, I got my hands on another touch screen ... and the same thing happened. Since the touchscreen is really a windows PC, I has assumed that it was a boot error. Now I think/hope this might have to do with the supply

By the way, the cbus side of the device works fine, the toolkit can see and configure it.

CABrouwes, Apr 17, 2017
  2. CABrouwes

ashleigh Moderator

See my previous answer re CTC1.

The CTC2 may have the same arrangement needing around 5.65V... its been a long time and I can't remember completely.

One of the CTC models did not need to go above 5.1V but used an external protection box. Maybe that was the CTC2, I'm not sure any more.

Pretty sure the 7 pin connector just used 3 pins for + and 3 pins for - and the remaining pin was not used.

We were a bit paranoid in design to ensure that pins were doubled up for high current devices (a single pin failure going ohmic tends to be bad). We were also very keen for connectors to be physically different so that it's difficult to plug something into the wrong connector.

For a 5V device, putting above about 5.6 to 5.7 V in *may* do damage; in this case I'd suggest a bench supply with at least 5A capacity (watch the supply and make sure its not going into current limiting). Set the voltage to 5.1V, power it up, and then slowly increase the voltage; no more than 5.7V.

You may have to turn the device off and on again at each new voltage.

Do this very carefully and slowly.

Let us know if this works please.

ashleigh, Apr 19, 2017
  3. CABrouwes

ashleigh Moderator

Oh one more thing.

That advice might not be very good.

The CTC2 did have an external box that went into the power supply lead. You really should be sourcing one of those, difficult though it may be.

ashleigh, Apr 19, 2017
  4. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

Ashley, thanks for your response.
    I assume the external box was measuring and compensating for line losses. This would be a classic set up, fairly easy to replicate.
    I have been able to power to touch screen and all seems working well.
    The system seems to be drawing north of 4A, so it is very important the power supply be rated for 5A.
    I post the wiring in case someone else needs it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
    CABrouwes, Apr 23, 2017
  5. CABrouwes

MichaelD

This is really helpful, I have a number of CTC2 that need new PSUs, if you have yours working, have you connected anything to that pin7? Not sure if its shown on the diagram just to indicate that its providinga voltage, or if you actually have it connected to something.

MichaelD, May 10, 2017
  6. CABrouwes

tobex

A guy on Gumtree has one at this time. Maybe contact him and see if he still has it. It was in a pile of CBUS that had been collected over time.

tobex, May 11, 2017
  7. CABrouwes

ashleigh Moderator

Pretty sure pin 7 is not connected.

ashleigh, May 12, 2017
Ask a Question