CNI to CNI Communications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sag007, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sag007

sag007

Hi, I have a question on linking two or more different CBus networks located at the same site.

We currently have a number of buildings around or site that have both CBus and are connected to our data network. All the CBus networks are currently connected to the data network via a CNI unit and they have been given different network addresses.

My question is can I program a CBus switch in one building to control a light on a CBus relay unit in another building using the above systems or will we require more CBus equipment?

Kind Regards,

Sag007

sag007, Dec 8, 2014
  2. sag007

rhamer

You need something in the middle to route the messages between the networks.

i.e. the output from one CNI can't be used directly as the input on another.

I'm assuming you cant physically connect the various C-Bus segments together with C-Bus bridges?

Others with more big system experience will likely chime in, but you are probably looking at something like Schedule Plus and some logic programming to act as the middle man.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 8, 2014
  3. sag007

jboer

Basically what Rohan said... Till he builds us an Ethernet Bridge that is ;)

You will need a PC with a licensed version of Schedule Plus (or Homegate? never used it outside of a CTC so not sure) on it. Then you will need to 'map' it across using logic. There are currently no C-Bus devices that will do the job.

This generally works ok for binary functions, it can be a pain when you want to fade things though or do complex things like moving light levels, temps, ect ect around. Most things can be done though.

Remember you will need to buy a license that has equal too or more than the amount of networks you have.

If it sounds a bit confusing, I see you are in Syd, if you want to catch up for a coffee just email me.

J

jboer, Dec 8, 2014
Ask a Question