CNI Remote access via DYNDNS

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by vhsle5ltr, Apr 4, 2015.

1. vhsle5ltr

vhsle5ltr

Hi Guys,

I have set up a DYNDNS host and opened port 10001 in the TPLINK Modem / Router and am unsure where to enter the DYNDNS settings in toolkit to enable remote log in and programming.

I have searched for networks and can find the site name and it says there are 7 devices present etc, but it will not let me open the project.

Any ideas?

vhsle5ltr, Apr 4, 2015
  2. vhsle5ltr

ashleigh Moderator

I would seriously NOT recommend opening up port 10001 linked to a CNI, whether or not you use DYNDNS or a similar service.

Reason: there is no access control or security. You have now opened your C-Bus network up to the world.

Typical time for discovery of open ports on IP addresses is around 20 minutes. So now anyone malicious can figure out what's there, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility for somebody to take control of your C-Bus network.

If this is your house the dangers are limited to you.

If this is a commercial building, then your liability for accidents inside the building is huge. (It only takes one bored teenager to turn off all the lighting, building requires evacuation, a tumble on the poorly lit stairs). In that case whoever opened up that port is going to look a bit of a goose come the court cases.

ashleigh, Apr 5, 2015
  3. vhsle5ltr

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Further to ashleigh's comments a slightly better thing to do is to install C-Gate on a machine on the router's LAN. C-Gate is a Java application so you are not necessarily limited to Windows.

C-Gate by default will deny connections from other computers, you can then white-list specific IP ranges in its access control file.

From off-site you can instruct Toolkit to connect to this remote C-Gate instance.

daniel, Apr 8, 2015
  4. vhsle5ltr

rhamer

If the router supports VPN, then set that up and there is no need to port forward anything.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 8, 2015
Ask a Question