CNI LAN Light not on after transformer failed

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by arrikhan, Feb 22, 2015.

1. arrikhan

arrikhan

I've recently had a transformer that powers a wiser unit fail. After finding a temporary replacement, for a day .. it was up and working again.

First failure (power supply), the wiser/router unit had NO power but the CNI was ok including the LAN light. This was what twigged me to some power supply issue rather than a unit issue which prompted me to try changing that first.

Anyhow, replaced the temporary working PS on the unit with a more permanent one of same power requirements (powered down overnight) and the CNI LAN light no longer comes one with the new or old PS. Wiser is accessible, and CNI lights blink away like nothing has changed. LAN Light on CNI module has no activity.

PS: Cannot user wider interface to interact with CBUS. All the usual icons on IPADs/webUI say I cannot connect to CBUS.

Has something fried?

BenC

arrikhan, Feb 22, 2015
  2. arrikhan

bmerrick

Hi BenC,

Assume you have the black Wiser with the Bridge 'Harmonica' between the two parts. These bridges can work themselves out of the UTP RJ sockets from time to time and like any RJ socket, the pins can get corrosion pitting particularly if your house is near a beach, high humidity area or an area with a large temperature range.

Pull the bridge out and move it into and out of the RJ sockets about 10 times. This should clean the pin 'slides' in the RJ sockets and make it connect to a different position on the pin at least.

A more permanent (and quite cheap - about $10 all up) solution is to replace the bridge with a 'Y' DC power adapter cable and a short 0.3 metre Cat 5E/6 from Jaycar or some other local electronic store. The Ethernet cable goes from the CNI to any switch port on the Wiser.

As it sounds like you now have two power supplies (temp and perm solution you mentioned), you can test if the replace the bridge solution will work for you before you buy it as I am sure you also have a short Cat 5E/6 UTP Ethernet cable for testing.

You may also find that the CNI has reverted back to its original configuration on the 192.168.2.x network, so change your PC to an address on that network if you can't find it on the address you expected after the CNI Ethernet light is back on again.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    bmerrick, Feb 22, 2015
  3. arrikhan

arrikhan

It is the old black wiser with the bridge.

I'm assuming the LAN light should come on regardless of the network address configuration as long as it is powered and plugged into a switch.

I have swapped the LAN connector around with another one in the bridge without luck also.

I can no longer live without my scheduled events and camera access which the Wiser predominantly performed.

Time to get it fixed :/

BenC

arrikhan, Aug 15, 2015
Ask a Question