CNI Connection Unstable

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by JTJG, Aug 23, 2015.

1. JTJG

JTJG

Hello!

I've been working on adding a CNI (SLC5500CN) to my network and C-Bus in my home. I've been able to use the IP Utility to config a static IP and network info. However, the connection to the CNI using the IP Utility and Toolkit is so unstable that I cant stay connected to it long enough to load network devices and do work on the C-Bus. I'm new to C-Bus, but it seems like the basic settings are pretty simple on the CNI. I have moved the CNI to other ethernet connections to test more direct connections to my router and this hasn't helped. When I ping the CNI the packet loss is huge - like 50%. I've tested by turning off my Windows Defender antivirus and also my Windows Firewall.

Has anyone got any tricks to setting up these CNI devices for stable connections? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

JTJG, Aug 23, 2015
  2. JTJG

rhamer

Do you have more than one network interface on your PC on the same subnet?

Are you using a wireless connection from your PC?

Try and simplify it as much as possible and use simple wired network with your wireless turned off and get it reliable, then gradually turn things back on to see where the problem is.

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 23, 2015
  3. JTJG

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I feel sure you have already considered this - but the one time I experienced something like what you describe, there turned out to be other devices on the same network with the same IP address.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    daniel, Aug 23, 2015
  4. JTJG

JTJG

Thank you Rohan.

I don't have another network interface, but I do have a device with a USB port - a Pascal Automation Controller.

Am using a wired connection from my PC. Have also tried wireless.

Do you think I should try to power most everything on my network off and make it simple? I have a lot of AV type IP devices like SONOS.

JTJG, Aug 23, 2015
  5. JTJG

JTJG

Thank you. Yes - the IP that I assigned to the CNI is outside of the DHCP range.

JTJG, Aug 23, 2015
  6. JTJG

rhamer

It is some sort of network problem and not a CNI issue per se.

Yes get as simple a network as you can. I don't know how complex your network is, but if your loosing 50% of your pings then something is sending them astray.

I'm with Daniel, are you sure you don't have some other thing you once setup and have forgotten about? if you unplug the CNI does that IP still ping?

Perhaps give us an idea of how your network is setup. and what IP addresses are assigned to what.

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 24, 2015
Ask a Question