CNI 5500 module vs Wiser CNI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by adgilcan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. adgilcan

adgilcan

I have a wiser unit which is acting as the CNI interface to my system.

The Wiser has been a little unreliable recently and has needed frequent rebooting. This morning it has decided to play up completely and I cannot access my units in Toolkit.

My question is this: is the CNI in Wiser materially different to the 5500 CNI? I am thinking that I may be better getting the dedicated bus mounted CNI. Does the 5500 accept Piced projects and logic in the same way as Wiser? They are both about the same price, which is to say, rather expensive so I do want to have something which is bullet proof in its reliability.

Many thanks for any input here.

Duncan

adgilcan, Oct 21, 2013
  2. adgilcan

kjayakumar

The 5500CN2 is the DIN rail mounted CNI. It is purely a network interface, meaning it will not run logic/scheduling.

fyi, the Wiser (do you have Wiser white or Wiser black?) consists of 2 building blocks, the Wiser itself (the black or white router with multiple ports) and the Wiser's CNI (the smaller black box that connects to C-Bus). It is unusual for a Wiser or its CNI to behave in the manner you described except perhaps in the case where there is a mechanical issue. If you are using the busbar to connect between the Wiser and the CNI, please make sure the ethernet RJ45 connector is fully inserted, same for C-Bus. You can check on what the Wiser's CNI's C-Bus status is by going to the IP of the CNI in a browser. Eg:

http://192.168.2.2
    Network status: Ready for client connection
    Network voltage: 29.0V, measured 0 seconds ago

kjayakumar, Oct 22, 2013
  3. adgilcan

adgilcan

Thanks for that.

It may be/ have been a physical connection issue and yesterday I, coincidentally, removed and reseated the connecting busbar. It has been working fine since then. I will keep an eye on it and may even move its location to somewhere it won't potentially be knocked around.

As far as the CNI/PAC side of it goes, am I right in thinking, then, that the CNI is (to all intents and purposes) identical to the 5500 and that the router (I have a black one by the way) contains some (or all?) of the DIN mounted PAC unit internals. That would make an expensive piece of kit about half the price of its DIN rail counterparts.

I'll stick with the Wiser and look after it better, in that case :p

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Duncan

adgilcan, Oct 22, 2013
Ask a Question