Clipsal powertag energy monitoring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hollywoodperth, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Hollywoodperth

Hollywoodperth

Does any one here have experience with the Clipsal powertags?

Do they measure bidirectional power flows? I have a PV system that regularly exports power and need a solution that can see the difference between export and import modes.

Thanks

Hollywoodperth, Sep 15, 2020
  2. Hollywoodperth

NickD Moderator

First thing to note is there are various different models of powertags under different brands.

Last time I looked the Clipsal branded ones were part of a "Wiser Energy" product, which was a residential cloud based system with an app but no integration. This was some time ago now so it may well have changed.

The SE branded ones however have an ethernet gateway with Modbus TCP that does integrate quite easily with the NAC.

These will do bidirectional *power* measurement (ie you can see the current power as being positive or negative), but they only accumulate energy (ie measure kWh) in one direction...

If you want to accumulate both import and export kWh then I suppose you could always put two on the same circuit in different directions.

Nick

NickD, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Hollywoodperth

Crostek

Hi All

I have been looking into using powertags as well, to monitor solar vis grid power consumption
    But have found that the SE Smartlink unit A9XMWD20 has been discontinued.

I have found a thread on the Logic machine, where someone has integrated the wiser energy gateway.
    https://forum.logicmachine.net/showthread.php?tid=1985

Nick
    Do you think this will work with the 5500SHAC?

Many Thanks
    Shane

Crostek, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Hollywoodperth

NickD Moderator

To be honest I've completely lost track of the SE offer in relation to power tags.

To work with the SHAC you need one that supports Modbus TCP... sadly last time I looked it was really difficult to find any info on this on the SE website.

Nick

NickD, Oct 13, 2020
Ask a Question