Clipsal Matrix, Own Amps or Alternative

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Ks04, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Ks04

Ks04

Hey Brainstrust,

I'm looking to integrate some ceiling speakers into my cBus system, primarily to control volume for each area.

I was hoping to be able to use a Clipsal Matrix but then my own amp (Eg. the Sonos amp) to get a nicer system interface etc - is this possible to do?

Alternatively, is it possible to control the Control4 system from the eDLT easily? Or will I have to go writting a whole bunch of code to interface with APIs if i go down that path?

Thanks

Ks04, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Ks04

Wonkey

As good as Clipsals MRA system is and I have one, if i was starting afresh today I would be looking at alternatives and missing out on the control from C-Bus.
    Development seems to have stopped and in some areas not even finished.
    Today most of my music comes from either spotify or my media server and the Clipsal MRA is used to distribute and amplify, but I have to use multiple apps to achieve the desired results.
    A sonos system or google home max would probably be more user frendly and possibly cheaper.
    There are advantages with using C-Bus my all off scenes when going out ensures no amps are left on and the data streams are stopped. When the door bell is pressed the amps are muted. Anybody can change the volume easily on a light switch.
    It all depends on how you and your family expect to interact with the system

Wonkey, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Ks04

SgrAystar

For a no/low cost option try out github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api

You do have to write code but the API is really simple.

I have been using this reliably for some time to control sonos from dimmers (on/off/volume), turn music off with Goodnight scene, detect spotify vs media server for different volume levels to accompany a Dinner scene, housewide doorbell over sonos, and best of all to summon my teenage son from his bedroom with a butler's voice from ttsmp3.com!!

The only things I have had to do is put the api software on a delayed startup so that all sonos speakers are detected on the LAN after a power outage, and I put in a small mod to cover people pushing the doorbell button multiple times.

My family will go to native app control for anything other than a single button press so I intend to leave anything complicated outside the cbus system.

SgrAystar, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Ks04

Ks04

This looks really useful! Thanks. I assume you’re using wiser to do this? At the moment I only have a PAC and Serial PC interface, so will need to see if I can find a way to trigger the http api via serial somehow..... unless you have any ideas?

Ks04, Feb 15, 2020
  5. Ks04

Charlie Crackle

Something really easy to setup just works and supports airplay2 cromecast spotify natively
    https://vssl.com
    I have used for cbus annunciations as well. "Snail Mail has arrived" "Movement in the driveway"
    Using the ubuntu SNAP image.

Charlie Crackle, Feb 15, 2020
  6. Ks04

SgrAystar

Yes, I moved into a home that already had a Wiser2 and Homegate, so no help to you with serial :(

SgrAystar, Feb 15, 2020
  7. Ks04

SgrAystar

The downside of diy integration, from github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api:

⚠WARNING!⚠

The upcoming Sonos software update (dubbed S2) will most likely break this API. If you rely on it, and want to continue use it, I would hold of upgrading to S2 right now until we know more.

SgrAystar, May 17, 2020
  8. Ks04

gte242

All

Just to update on the above. I have no issues controlling it through this API and I have upgraded Sonos S2.

gte242, Jan 31, 2021
Ask a Question