CLIPSAL C-BUS 5000CT restarting

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by evolution, Feb 19, 2013.

1. evolution

evolution

Hi ,

Can some one help out with my C-BUS 5000CT at home.

Symptoms: Screen will restart many times as I see the initializing logo appear, and sometimes will be blank, bathroom fan wont turn on. After a few power cycles the screen reappear's and runs normally.

Here is a list of the version, not sure if it needs to be upgraded, can someone assist if they know anything?

CLIPSAL Integrated Systems
    Model: 5000CT
    Hardware Version: 1
    Monitor Version: 1.4
    C-Touch firmware Version: 1.9
    C-BUS Firmware Version: 4.4.00

evolution, Feb 19, 2013
  2. evolution

Mr Mark

Hello evolution, first thing to check would be power and the connections at the rear of the screen maybe a broken wire. Otherwise, it could just be on its way out :(

Mr Mark, Feb 19, 2013
  3. evolution

Roosta

Agree with Mr Mark..

Entirely possible its CBus power issue or might just be on its way out.. The constant restarting hints me towards a blown/leaky capacitor..

Check the CBus power and common stuff meets requirements, and if they all look fine then its probably time to replace/upgrade the touchscreen..

Cheers..

Roosta, Feb 19, 2013
  4. evolution

bmerrick

Hi Evolution,

Sorry to hear about your wayward touch screen.

I am somewhat of an expert in these older but IMHO under-rated cool touch screens (having about 6 or 7 around my house). I do however have to agree with Mr Mark and Roosta that unless it is an external C-Bus power issue, it is more likely it's age catching up with it.

I am not sure if your original installer put all the 'self help' menu links on yours via buttons but look for 'User Configuration' or 'Diagnostics' buttons. Under diagnostics there is a button marked 'Unit Data'. This will show the time and date of the unit's last power failure/cycle and also the number of times power has 'failed' ie been removed. If this is a high number and the time/date of last failure correlates with the last failure episode you saw, then you know it has a power supply (either internal or external to the unit) issue. It also display the units C-Bus voltage which ideally should be over about 20 volts.

If it looks like the power is not failing, then it must be an internal fault in the unit itself which will require either repair or replacement.

PM me if you'd like someone to come take a look at it for you or if you want to send it away for repair. Happy to help get you back running either way,

Kind Regards,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    bmerrick, Feb 19, 2013
  5. evolution

evolution

Thanks for that. Do you know the cost of a replacement CBUS 5000CT touch screen? is it that easy to repair for a non techy person. I can see a couple of screws on the front of the display, what is connected at the back I should be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    evolution, Feb 19, 2013
  6. evolution

evolution

I will check out that output of that setting and let you know

evolution, Feb 19, 2013
  7. evolution

bmerrick

What did the diags say? Just emailed you some further info about the unit through the forum mail. Did it get to you? You can also PM me using the link top right.

Regards,

Brad

bmerrick, Feb 19, 2013
  8. evolution

Darren Senior Member

It would be interesting to know the voltage at the touch screen, as others have suggested.

It is not clear what your comment about the bathroom fan means. Does it never work, or is it just a problem at the time the touch screen is restarting?

Does any other C-Bus device misbehave at the same time?

Are you power cycling C-Bus, or are you referring to the touch screen cycling through the start up sequence?

Darren, Feb 23, 2013
  9. evolution

bmerrick

Hi Darren,

Evolution contacted me on PM and sent me some pics. Of course, now he wants to look at the diags screen for voltage details etc, the whole thing has turned up its toes and has no screen output at all.

From the photos, though hard to tell categorically due to lighting conditions, it looked like the screen had powered raster but no output. I have Evolution first trying a term strip removal/replace back in case there is some socket corrosion on the C-Bus power pins, as it is from a beach suburb and also sounds like its placed near a bathroom. I also took the fan cue that there might be a fan relay looped off this TS which could also suggest a bad C-Bus cable/power loop connection.

If that doesn't get it back able to display at least a diag screen showing voltage, Evolution is forwarding it over to me to take a look at on my bench. May just be 'its time' ;-) That being said, I've got 7 and not one fail in 6+ years.

Personally have always really liked this model, (hence I have lots) inside looks nicely engineered, is well sized, a nice moderately sized wall box and was reasonably cheap considering the large amount it could do for its time. A good 'old style' MRA controller.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
    bmerrick, Feb 23, 2013
  10. evolution

bmerrick

And the moral to the story is...................Never ever say 'my xyz hasn't failed' :eek:

Last Night, quite probably whilst typing the previous post about my 5000CTs, we were in the midst of a HUGE storm in Sydney, with 80-100 km/h wind and heavy 'horizontal rain' for hours. Outside, just under eye level under a 2.4M wide overhanging balcony (so usually bone dry) I had a 5000CT wall mounted that acted as alarm access control, pool control and MRA controller for the outdoor balcony area. Been there 6 or 7 years. I had waterproofed it (2-3 times over time), I had the whole 'guts' sealed in a fire resistant surgical grade plastic bag with a desiccant pouch and therma-strip inside and this all back inside the silicon sealed case (after checking temps were OK inside of course!!).

It didn't help!! Unfortunately a small fingernail 'nick' someone had made in the plastic bag over the touch screen surface decided to let in a few small drops that ran down to the bottom of the LCD. This afternoon, I noticed it sitting there saying 'initialising', hung. Not sure if it can be revived, but have started dry air recovery treatment!!

So the moral again, never ever tell anyone how good something is working, or it's just going to immediately die for you!!!

Brad

ps............. If dead, RIP old friend. :)

pps........... This post is not meant to pass on a valid, endorsed or recommended method of 'waterproofing' your touch screen, which obviously ultimately failed anyway. BCA requirements suggest an enclosure or device with appropriate IP rating for the location. Personal choice weighed the aesthetics higher than the failure cost as it is on an AlucoBond clad feature wall. Today I use Wiser and my iPhone more often than the touch screen, but there was no Wiser available when this was installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    bmerrick, Feb 24, 2013
Ask a Question