Climate Control via C-Bus

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by richy, Apr 23, 2005.

1. richy

richy

Hi All,

I am starting a new project on my home, Installing a Central Heating And Cooling unit from Brivis. I want to create 3 Zones and a Spill zone(AKA common zone)

I have spec. the system to have 3 Dampers(the motor that opens an closes a Zone) This unit is driven from 24V dc. The units are spring return, Therefore when energized the Zone will close, un-energized zone will open.

Brivis have a unit called a Networker - This is the unit that controls the System. However I can not interface to this via C-bus. but
    Brivis also make a unti called the "Analog Interface" This replaces the networker, and allows C-Bus to interface.

Therefore my Plan is to Interface C-bus to a Brivis heating and cooling unit with 3 independent zones. Controlling these Zones via a Touchscreen and or Home Gate Server.

The Design so far.

Each zone has a C-Bus Temp Sensor.
    Each Damper(zone motor) is controlled via a C-bus Relay channel.
    The Heating/Cooling unit is controlled via the 529 Analog Interface with numerous C-bus Relay channels.

This is where I fall over, and the reason for this Thread.

How Do I control the Temp ????

I want to be able to use Home Gate to control the temp. Create a simple gui that shows each zone, each zones temp, and a temp +/- control.
    Q: Is it possible to re-program the C-Bus Temp Sensor via a Home Gate GUI.

If so problem solved.

If Not. Can I use the temp readings from the sensor in a logic equation to allow a user to control Temp -/+.?

C'mon guys put your heads together, come up with a solution.

PS: Just an idea.
    Solution - write a thirdparty app that uses C-Gate, accepts inputs from Home Gate, and re-programs the C-bus Temp Sensors on the fly.

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  2. richy

richy

Another Idea:

The New PICED has a logic engine. I have not played with it yet, but is it powerfull enough to enable climate control ???

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  3. richy

richy

I now the CIS team wont let us down, there has to be a solution.

MultiMedia Dynamics have a solution, yes ok its there own thirdparty software, but they can control climate in numerous zones via there Touch Screen.

So there software must be able to re-program unit functions via the Touch Screen.

c'mon CIS, I believe in you ....

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  4. richy

richy

Ok,

Had a play with the logic Engine in PICED, nice, seems I will be able to achieve what I want to do, with the logic. But $2500 for a 6.5" Touchscreen - I dont think so!!!

Therefore, Does the new version of Home Gate have a logic engine ??
    I only have the evaluation installed 2.0.33 and it does not have it.

I can't install the update (since I dont have a ligit copy). But I'll be buying one on Monday, if it has a built in Logic Engine and System IO editor like PICED does for the Colour Touch Screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong - But using the Logic Engine I should be able to do the following:-

-Program a System IO Variable (that holds my wanted temp value) "TEMP_Z1"
    -Program a Nudge up Button to increment TEMP_Z1
    -Program a Nudge down Button to Decrement TEMP_Z1
    -Monitor the Status of a C-Bus Temp Sensor "ACTUAL_TEMP"
    -When ACTUAL_TEMP is equal to TEMP_Z1, trigger a event, ON/OFF etc..

Am I dreaming or will this be possible .... ??
    -

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  5. richy

Rossco

Yes that is correct you would also want to put in a offset.

The logic engine enables control in just about any way.
    The software can read and display c-bus temperatures, there is no need to reprogram the temperature sensors, it reads the temperature from the sensor, then in the logic engine you write code to act on the conditions.
    If you download the beta software you can program it up and run it now.
    I have already programed a heating cooling system with 2 zone control with adjustable offsets and day/night time temperatures, its great.

I am not 100% sure but i think homegate & schedule plus will be coming out with the logic engine as well.
    I know the colour screen is expensive but look at the features it has such as com port, ethernet, size and HTML pages just to name a few.
    It can be programmed to control just about anything with the ethernet port.

Its the best thing clipsal have brought out since cbus started.
    Keep up the great work cis.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005
    Rossco, Apr 23, 2005
  6. richy

richy

Hi,

Your talking about PICED, yeah, I had a play, and came to realize I would not need to re-program the Temp Sensor, just needed some logic to act on its status. This is great, but its really expensive. I am comparing it to a 1K PC and $800 15" touchscreen, Running Home Gate.

Cheaper and you get a bigger screen.

The new colour screen is Kick ass, but it should be priced under the Cost of Homegate+PC+PC_TouchScreen.

I hope Home Gate has a Logic engine just like PICED. If it doesn't then I take back my last comment.

And I guess I'll have to buy a Colour Touch Screen.

Anyway, I cant wait to get my hands dirty with the logic engine.

Cheers.

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  7. richy

richy

Ok I'm Slack !!

just read the Post about "Home Gate 2.6 Details"

So it dont have a Logic Engine ..... :eek:

Lets get strait to the point.

When is VERSION 3 being released :D Soon, yes ..... please pretty please ..

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  8. richy

Rossco

Richy

Don't forget with the pc you will need a UPS for pwer fail backup.

We have used embedded pc's running 15" & 17" touch screens, if you get a power fail you need to reboot the pc, another problem is updating virus software and security.
    It might be fine for your own home, but to install into a clients home is a different story.

Advantage of touch screen is it a cbus product, if power fails it will reboot and still run its schedules and logic.

Add all the ups and downs, colour touch screen isn't much more expensive.
    My opinion is that they are fine for front end control but not for schedules and logic.
    I won't let my homes control in the hands of Mr Gates.

Rossco, Apr 23, 2005
  9. richy

richy

All Very good points. Some that I never considered. Reboot, yes problematic but workable. Virus - hmmm, pain in the ass but workable.

As far as Mr Gates is involved -
    isnt all the C-Bus software written in Java.

How hard is it to port to a unix derivative.

Anyway, I'm waiting for Home Gate V3 to arrive.

God Speed CIS ... hurry up...

richy, Apr 23, 2005
  10. richy

ashleigh Moderator

Its coming...

And no, not EVERYTHING is written in Java. Some is in Java, some in C, some in Delphi, all helps to keep life interesting....

ashleigh, Apr 23, 2005
  11. richy

Newman

Newman, May 2, 2005
  12. richy

richy

Hmmm,

I see the light ....

PC good for me, bad for client, unless I spec a mean machine, and all the lic, and include a ongoing remote maintenance package ... (if they are connected to a ISP)

Ok, well then ... when our we going to see a 15" or larger version of the colour touchscreen. 6.4"'s just dont turn me on ... and if it aint to much ask, how about a Composite input, ok could use a IP camera ....

Oh, and one more thing,

HOW COME I CANT BUY ONE OF THESE COLOUR TOUCHSCREENS YET ?? :D

Viva la CIS .....

richy, May 4, 2005
  13. richy

ashleigh Moderator

The colour screen is coming, but to quote a really good line....

"If you don't want ours, buy one from the competitors"

We seem to be the only people (fools perhaps?) in the world who have been able to develop a passively cooled colour screen (ie no fans) which does not overheat, which runs installed into a solid wall or worse into a wall full of glass fibre insulation.

Its turned out to be a major A-grade pain in the backside. All those things that seem obvious, well... they are not! There's loads of software, vast amounts of difficult electronics, and many many designs and redesigns and trials and tribulations for a passive cooling system.

Its coming... its coming... very soon. When it's out it has to be right. Choice here is look silly for being late, or look VERY VERY STUPID for being late and not working properly.

Final testing is looking good :D

ashleigh, May 4, 2005
Ask a Question