circa-ir reader

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by ROCKET, Aug 14, 2004.

1. ROCKET

ROCKET

I have just installed the ir-reader.Everything went according to plan, opened the Circa software ,imported the new device file but when I dragged the device function(in this case "play") into the c-bus device list the error message came up "Unable to find protocol record for device"
    All the other devices in the library file work ok.
    Is there something I missed ?
    I dont really want to open the installation instructions if I dont have to.

ROCKET, Aug 14, 2004
  2. ROCKET

Richo

When you do the import there is a checkbox options "Overwrite Protocols" or similar name. Make sure this is checked.

Richo, Aug 14, 2004
  3. ROCKET

ROCKET

onya mate
    u r a legend

ROCKET, Aug 14, 2004
  4. ROCKET

jacksim

good

Hi expert,

Thanks for your info.!!!! this is one of my most headache problem..!! :mad:

Thanks!
    Jack!

jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  5. ROCKET

Richo

The next release of Circa won't have that checkbox and will over write the protocols by default. There will be other changes as well to make Circa faster and easier to use.

Richo, Aug 26, 2004
  6. ROCKET

jacksim

laptop

Expert,
    yes, i'm actually using my laptop to configure the IR module. normally i used about 25-30 mins to load IR into the IR module.
    my laptop is HP omnibook xt6050. but when i used Compaq armada m700 the loading time only take about less than 4mins... is there any setting for it? or else is the laptop com port driver problem? by the way, when and where can i download the new version of Circa.?

Jack

jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  7. ROCKET

Newman

Jack

The OS you're running can have quite an impact on the download time, as can CPU speed. The reason is that some versions of Windows allow direct access to the serial port and others get really suspicious and want to see exactly what you're doing (NT/2K/XP in particular).

Also, the more IR codes and also the type of IR code impact on the amount of data that needs downloading. Sony codes are tiny, Air Conditioning codes are H U G E ! ! !

Newman, Aug 26, 2004
  8. ROCKET

Richo

Hmmm... sounds like a very large discrepency. Although Newman is right, different versions of Windows behave differently, seems a bit too large a difference.

Could you look up the specs of the laptops you mention, and post your processor speed, windows version and amount of ram for each laptop.

It will be available from the clipsal website when it's released (which means not yet). An announcement will be made on the annoucment forums as well as through normal channels.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2004
    Richo, Aug 26, 2004
  9. ROCKET

jacksim

Experts,
    I'm glad to discuss my problems in this forum. previously i using 256ram then the downloading time is about 30-40mins for a IR module. since i increase to 512mb ram, the time loading only become 20-25mins. me and my colleage tested both of the PCs, the only difference is the com port driver(something related to the IO BUS). yes, we have only load DAIKIN air-con IR. :) . Anywhere how is yours loading time for a IR Module?? just for my info.

my proccessor is 1.13GHz OS=xp Pro ver 2002
    my colleage also using xp pro ver 2002

Regards
    Jack

jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  10. ROCKET

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    May have the wrong end of the stick here but i think Jack is downloading the ir codes into the 2 zone ir module via the cbus network ( i believe you can do this ?) and not via the high speed programming cable supplied by clipsal....
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Aug 26, 2004
  11. ROCKET

jacksim

Hi Frank,
    Yes, i'm loaded both channel IR into IR module. I also realise 1 channel and 2 channel time is almost the same. plus minus 1; 2 mins. My cable is so call "high speed cable" is supply by local supplier. its white and 1 meter long.
    the method i download to IR module is link up com port to my laptop and the other end link into IR module. Is there anyway to load IR into IR module through c-bus network(without taking out IR module)?

Jack

jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  12. ROCKET

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Jack
    Downloading via the cbus network would be much slower than via the high speed programming cable...I use the high speed programming cable on my pc running wihdows xp and it only takes a few minutes max......Something doesnt sound right in your setup......
    Frank

13. ROCKET

jacksim

Hi Frank, i compared my laptop and my colleage laptop... there is only com port driver difference. is there any other setup/config for my laptop setting. Please comment...

Thanks!

jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  14. ROCKET

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Jack
    Sorry cant help with your pc setup maybe one of the Clipsal people can advise on trying some changes to your laptop.......Not something silly like a low baud rate ??....
    Frank

15. ROCKET

jacksim

Hi Frank,
    Do you have any Clipsal people's contact? because i'm going to do about 100pcs of IR module very soon with different IR code in customer site with customer's home entertainment equipment remote control(in front of customer). at 1st we also thought it was the baud rate problem but the baud rate is the same(9600).

Thanks for your help!!

Jack

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2004
    jacksim, Aug 26, 2004
  16. ROCKET

Colin Smith

On the training I did last month on the IR modules the "same code block" was downloaded by different people using their laptops. The time varied greatly!

We discussed the issue, the trainer thought that it might be a configuration issue. That is you only need to download the codes you need versus overwriting the whole of the stored codes.

With 15 years in the IT industry, it appeared to me that it was an OS issue.
    I have played with serial comms commercially, it took far to long to up-load to want to do it in front of a client.

Colin Smith

Colin Smith, Aug 26, 2004
  17. ROCKET

Richo

Hi All,

I'm not aware of any specific issues that would cause Circa to behave radically different between different PCs. (aside from ram issues etc... still the specs given on the list seem reasonable to me)

I will catch up with the tech support guys today (if they are available) and discuss the issue with them and try and get a repeatable case happening internally.

Sorry I can't offer and better suggestion right at the moment.

Also it currently is not possible to download a configuration to a Nirt via CBus, although as correctly pointed out this would take a lot longer than direct connection.

Richo, Aug 27, 2004
  18. ROCKET

Richo

Sorry for tyhe late followup. I did catch up with Tech Support guys and certainly the behaviour differences of Circa on different PC is something they have seen.

I have alos spoken to some of the other developers here and we have a few theories on what the root cause mayt be.

This is something I consider to be serious issue to relsove and although the next release is unlikely to resolve it. I most likely will be jumping into a new version immediately after the next release (new features <grin>) and will look into this issue then.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Richo, Sep 6, 2004
  19. ROCKET

jacksim

circa

Hi Experts,
    Is the new version of Circa available now?

Regards
    Jack

jacksim, Sep 7, 2004
  20. ROCKET

Richo

Not yet no. When it is it will be annouced in the accouncement forum as well as normal channels of communication.

Richo, Sep 7, 2004
Ask a Question