Cheapest way for scheduling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by floppy, Jul 5, 2015.

1. floppy

Andy@Mandoon

MisterHouse

If you need automation then MisterHouse (http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/) is a great option. It has a robust CBus interface that talks directly to the Clipsal CGate software. MisterHouse is Open-Source (ie. free) and CGate is free from Clipsal.

Both would happily run on a Raspberry Pi. MisterHouse has lots of built-in functions to calculate sunset/sunrise, etc. It will allow you to link to lots of other systems directly or through home automation protocols like xPL.

The real price comes from having to get your hands dirty setting up the system, and possibly writing a little bit of Perl code. (Perl is a simple language anybody with some light programming knowledge can handle.) They have an active mailing-list if you have any questions.

Just another suggestion if you want to keep the price down.

(Full Disclosure: I worked on the CBus interface for MisterHouse - so I think it's quite robust. :))

Andy@Mandoon, Jul 13, 2015
  2. floppy

floppy

By way of an update, I managed to get some basic scheduling working with some simple cron jobs and nodejs on my laptop connected to cbus.

I'll check MisterHouse as an alternative - I haven't used Perl before, but given how long it's been since I did any real programming, everything feels almost like starting from scratch :)

Once I get a bit more time, I may try to move everything on the Pi - once I dig through all the forum posts on it :) I love the idea of having the system controllable from a mobile device.

Thanks everyone for all the input - it's great I can get the scheduling and don't have to spend any money on additional hardware. Although, now that I saved $700+ I was quoted originally, I'm sure I can find a good use for them...

floppy, Jul 14, 2015
  3. floppy

zx9

I found node-schedule was a lot easier to use and has more functionality than cron - you also might want to utilise suncalc for sunset/sunrise schedules

zx9, Jul 16, 2015
  4. floppy

oldmacdonald

Apologies if this is a bit off topic but I have similar questions.

Does the Wiser II handle schedules? We've just rewired our house with c-bus and have managed to successfully commission basic functionality (switching lights only). None of my "team" of two electricians and a civil engineer had done c-bus before so we're pretty happy we've got the basics to work.

Plan is to control the pool pump and also irrigation at least with c-bus, and perhaps schedule some lights as well. When dollars allow we will get a Wiser II, for app control and also scheduling. Am I correct that the Wiser II can be programmed to run the pool and sprinklers fairly easily?

oldmacdonald, Mar 7, 2016
  5. floppy

DarylMc

Hi oldmacdonald
    Congratulations with the new home.

Wiser can do schedules.
    I recommend you find someone familiar with Wiser to install and set it up to get the most out of it.

In case you didn't know, there is a product L5108RELVP 8 Channel Relay, Extra Low Voltage
    It is made for tasks like irrigation control.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
    DarylMc, Mar 7, 2016
  6. floppy

oldmacdonald

Thank you.

I've got a couple of ELV relays ready for the irrigation and gates and roller doors etc.

We've managed our way through the toolkit software to get basic commissioning done so we'll give the Wiser a crack too when I can afford it. Worst case a Wiser expert can remote-in through my internet connection, to assist with configuration, right?

oldmacdonald, Mar 7, 2016
  7. floppy

DarylMc

Hi
    Yeah that gives you more options than just finding someone locally.

Having a go is great.
    I mentioned it because the time involved to learn all the things Wiser can do will be substantial.

DarylMc, Mar 7, 2016
Ask a Question