Channel Status - Comm. Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stephen Scott, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

I have one 4 Channel Dimmer that has the attached Channel Status showing on all 4 channels.

All 4 indicators are flashing Red/ Orange and the words next to each indicator state "Comm. Error"

Flashing Channel Status.jpg

I hope someone can help me with this one as I can't work it out

Regards Stephen

Stephen Scott, Sep 8, 2016
  2. Stephen Scott

DarylMc

That is where the universal dimmer displays either leading or trailing edge operation.
    Is the dimmer installed and powered up?

DarylMc, Sep 10, 2016
  3. Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

I ended up taking the dimmer our of service and tried setting it up on it's own network using a couple of different lamp types to see if anything changed but it didn't, I played around for a couple of hours but couldn't get anywhere so the unit has gone back to Clipsal to see if they can work out what is wrong!
    Thanks for your reply but I was running out of time so bought another unit and installed it, I am wearing the costs until Clipsal comes back with a solution.
    Regards
    Stephen

Stephen Scott, Sep 15, 2016
  4. Stephen Scott

NickD Moderator

Was it still controlling the lamps?

There are 2 separate communication interfaces inside the dimmer.. a high speed one that controls the levels and a low speed one that provides feedback on the channel state.

The Comm Error indicates that the feedback interface is not communicating correctly. If it was working and stopped then it sounds like a hardware failure (I've never seen one come back myself).

If the channels could still be controlled then it's possibly a bad joint. If not then it sounds like the entire dimmer processor is dead.

Either way you need a replacement.. hopefully it's covered by warranty.

Nick

NickD, Sep 16, 2016
Ask a Question