Changing Cbus 2 light switches.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SFD, Feb 22, 2021.

1. SFD

SFD

Hi Everyone,

HELP WANTED...

I recently purchased a home here in Brisbane and moved in just before Christmas. it need a lot of work done to it and when I painted the walls I realised the light switches look tired and have seen better days.

There are these really funny looking light switches with a light in them which I want to replace as they are many years old. I called in an electrcian and was ready with my light switches from Bunnings to replace them. He and his apprentice opened up a couple of light switches and turned around and said he can’t do them with these Bunnings one as the wiring looks different and that maybe I need to call in someone else as he doesn’t understand what’s happening here with these different wires and mini lights in the switches.

I than called someone else who turned around and told me that I need special Cbus switches to replace the current switches. He than looked around the whole house and found that half the house (main sitting and dining areas) are on Cbus2 and the other half is wired normally. I than looked online and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the prices for these switches. People want several hundred dollars for one switch!?!

Now I’ve spoken to several more people in the meantime and I’m getting conflicting information. Some talk of plugging computers into my home for programming when I replace the switches and wanting 1000s of dollars for the honour. Others say I only need to change the switches over with the new ones and that no new programming is required as the switches once they are switched over will continue working in place of the old switches.

Can someone please advise what’s right and what’s not please? It will save me hundreds, possibly thousands with some good advice.

Thank you

SFD, Feb 22, 2021
  2. SFD

Ashley

If you replace the switches they will need to be programmed. This is a simple job for anyone familiar with cbus. What exactly is the problem with the existing switches?

Ashley, Feb 22, 2021
  3. SFD

SFD

The current switches look old and dated compared to the new ones available these days on the market. I want to install the white Saturn Zen switches in their place.

SFD, Feb 22, 2021
  4. SFD

lcrowhurst

Here is a link to the EcoXpert location finder, any of these guys will be able to help you, and supply equipment at a competitive price.

https://www.se.com/au/en/locate/321-ecoxpert-locator

As Ashley said it is a relatively easy job for an EcoXpert to replace switches. If your told its difficult, or expensive because they don't have the original project, then pick someone else.

If all switches at=re working the process is :
    1) Connect pc to Cbus network,
    2) scan network to find all existing equipment.
    3) replace existing switch with new switch
    4) scan to find new switch
    5) upload od programmino to new switch
    6 repeat 3-5 until all switches are replaced.

if the switches all have serial numbers on them then all the switches could be removed and new switches added at once. But I prefer the above method, takes a little long but lease chance of mistakes.

Yes the switches are expensive but they are much more functional than conventional switches.

lcrowhurst, Feb 23, 2021
  5. SFD

Ashley W

Are they the white clipsal 2000 series switches, like the ones in the links below:

First one is standard 2000.

https://www.clipsal.com/products/detail?CatNo=5032NL&itemno=5032NL-WE&tab-document-1=0

Second is C2000

https://www.clipsal.com/products/detail?CatNo=C5034NL&itemno=C5034NL-WE&tab-document-1=0

The reason I ask is if they are then the grid plates can easily be replaced to make them look as new and the actual buttons cleaned up.

I notice you say you want to change to Zen, my advice is don't. I have a few Zen C-bus switches, including the ones with screens and the are awful. They get dirty easily and the buttons after a few years of use feel loose.

Ashley W, Feb 24, 2021
  6. SFD

SFD

Hi Ashley,

thanks for the advice, they are the later ones, I’ll try cleaning them and see where that gets me.

SFD, Feb 24, 2021
  7. SFD

SFD

Hi,

thanks for the info, that’s really made things clearer for me now. I’ve been quoted around 660 gst inc to replace and programme the 11 switches if I supply them.

SFD, Feb 24, 2021
  8. SFD

Trevor

Have a look on Facebook, I have seen a lot of Clipsal parts available there, old and new.
    $60 per switch seems a lot, 5-10 min ea for the hardware, 5 min ea or less for the software. Dam, i wish i was on those rates.
    regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Feb 24, 2021
  9. SFD

DarylMc

Seems reasonable.
    I would pay no attention to someone who says it's only 2 hours work.

DarylMc, Feb 25, 2021
    Ashley W likes this.
  10. SFD

Trevor

I would say around 3 hours work @ $200 an hour is good going.

Trevor, Feb 25, 2021
  11. SFD

DarylMc

@Trevor
    I know you are saying that and I'm saying you shouldn't.
    You are confusing the customer and putting doubt about the quote when you have no idea what is involved.

DarylMc, Feb 25, 2021
    Matthew likes this.
  12. SFD

Ashley W

Ah just to be clear what I meant by cleaning them is cleaning the buttons only. The grid plate itself doesn't clean up well. You can replace the cover very easily, but you will still have yellow around the buttons.

What I was suggesting is replacing the whole grid plate which is easy. If you turn the C2000 Cbus switch over you will see the rear part is held on by 4 screws. Undo them with the unit facing down and take the back off. The buttons can then be taken off, cleaned and the whole lot transferred to a new C2000 grid plate. When you do it there are a few little black things you also need to move over. It will make sense if you take one apart.

I did this with some 15 year old switches and the came up as good as new.

Ashley W, Feb 25, 2021
  13. SFD

lcrowhurst

I have taken them apart and spay painted them. Nice gold ones for a client.

lcrowhurst, Feb 25, 2021
Ask a Question