Change Switch Type

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by nigeltodd, Jan 23, 2006.

1. nigeltodd

nigeltodd

Is it possible to change the switch type on the fly? For example, a client may remove a circuit, causing a 2 gang to only need to be a 1 gang in this instance.

If not, how feasible is it to add this feature to the Toolkit?

Nigel Todd
    Smart Systems, Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2006
    nigeltodd, Jan 23, 2006
  2. nigeltodd

JohnC

Of course you cannot "physically" change the switch type (if already installed)...

If you are using a 2-gang but only using 1 gang of it, then what I do is set the unused button to Type "Unused", and also select Indicators Tab and change the corresponding Indicator to "Always Off". That stops confusion (ie: this button lights up when I press it, but nothing happens).

----------

If the change happens PRIOR to installation, then you need to delete the old (2-gang) and add a new 1-gang. That is dead easy to do in toolkit, by selecting the 2-gang switch and clicking "Remove Device" (or smilar) on the toolbar.
    I guess it's not possible to "change" the device because it would be confusing - if it's a 2-gang changing to 1-gang, which Group Address would the one to delete, and which one to keep?

Does that help, or did I misunderstand the question?

JC

JohnC, Jan 24, 2006
  3. nigeltodd

Duncan

This feature has been added.. conversion of many unit types to other unit types.. eg Neo to Saturn.. 4 Channel Dimmer to 8 Channel..2 Key to 1 Key, 1 Key to 2 Key.. etc etc.. all programming retained (or trimmed as required).

If it gets through our testing OK it'll be in the next major release of Toolkit.

Duncan, Jan 24, 2006
  4. nigeltodd

ashleigh Moderator

Yay!

Transmogrification of a unit to another comparable unit!

When it all works, there is potential to save VAST amounts of time during commissioning and / or site updates.

No more scribbling down the programming, delete the unit, and re-enter it all. Just convert and then check (after all not everything will convert over, if the units have different capabilities some info might not be convertable).

But still... its gonna be SWEEEEEET!

ashleigh, Jan 24, 2006
  5. nigeltodd

Dave Byron

Duncan
    Have 50 Saturns to change to DLTs over weekend, would be nice to have the next release of toolkit to do it with, then i can go out and play.

dave

Dave Byron, Feb 10, 2006
  6. nigeltodd

ashleigh Moderator

Sorry Dave. The next release of Toolkit is still in development and has not even been passed to the test group yet.

ashleigh, Feb 10, 2006
  7. nigeltodd

nigeltodd

Unit Conversion

I see it is in the toolbar now, but how does it work?? I wish to change a Saturn 2g to a Saturn 4g. I add unit to network(addr 255), but am unsure where to go from here!

Nigel

nigeltodd, Aug 25, 2006
  8. nigeltodd

george

Hi Nigel,

Have you seen the tutorial on how to use unit conversion? Check it out, it may help. http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2217

Regards,
    George

george, Aug 25, 2006
Ask a Question