CGATE bug

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by MHeaton, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MHeaton

MHeaton

Have setup CGATE for remote access by HOSTNAME (for my client PC which is allocated an address via DHCP). When CGATE server loads access.txt it cannot resolve the hostname and then locks down the whole file (the error message is Cannot resolve Address xxxx: on line remote on access control file.

2 things. Firstly the line number should be reported in the error message; Secondly the fact that a server cannot find a host should not prevent it from loading all other entries.

I hope that it does not also do DNS resolution at startup only!

Thanks
    Mark

MHeaton, Jun 22, 2008
  2. MHeaton

Darpa

You should be able to set up your modem/router to assign your PC a static address via its internal DHCP server, you just need to tell it the MAC address of your PC's network card, and tell it the static IP (must be within it's existing DHCP pool range) that you want to assign. (Either that, or give your PC a permanent IP address in your network settings, but your router wont be able to tell that that IP address is already being used, and DNS lookup wont be as fast on your LAN).

That way your PC would always have the same IP address, and you could program C-Gate with that instead of the hostname.

HTH, Darpa

Darpa, Jun 23, 2008
  3. MHeaton

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting this. The access.txt code is rather ancient and due for a review - it's reports like these that bump it up the queue. I've recorded your specific issues as well.

cheers!
    Daniel

(#6254, #14199)

daniel, Jun 25, 2008
  4. MHeaton

MHeaton

@Daniel - thanks!!
    @Darpa - Static IP is bad for a client machine when I have many machines on the network!!! Anyway it is now logged!

MHeaton, Jun 29, 2008
Ask a Question