Ceiling Fans (was Test Bench Mock-Up for learning)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, Mar 17, 2009.

1. industeq

industeq

I am confused on this still.
    Typically there is a 14-2 or a 12-2 NM wire that is from the incoming power within the wall switch to the upper mounted Junction Box to where the fan is mounted.
    If the fan has a light the wire is a 14-3 or a 12-3 for the 2nd switched load.
    Then the fan speed is controlled by the pull-string or some have a RF remote but even so it is still 3 speeds and not a variable linear speed.

Now reading about the ceiling fans being split capacitor it looks like the best way to wire for a C-Bus is:
    ? Use a Clipsal Relay and dedicate 3 outputs for the fans 3 speeds (Not a Dimmer)
    ? Run 3 hot wires and one neutral wire (total 4) to the fan J-Box. If using a optional light run 4 hot wires.
    o Then terminate the wiring in the J-Box to accommodate each split capacitor phase for the motor)

Does this sound correct?
    If so the electricians need to run some more wires to the fans J-Box.

Thanks
    Alan Dobbs

industeq, Mar 17, 2009
  2. industeq

Darpa

Here in Australia, most ceiling sweep fans come with a wall plate, with a selector "knob" allowing for 3 speeds + off. Behind the plate, there is usually a couple of capacitors. So over here we just run a single 3-wire cable from the switch on the wall to the fan. (Active [Hot], Neutral, and Earth).

What people are talking about doing with C-Bus relays is to remove the capacitors from the wall switch provided with the fan, and placing those capacitors in the same enclosure as the C-Bus equipment, and then running a single 3-wire feed to the fan from there.

Which definately saves on the cost of the cable itself.

Darpa

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    Darpa, Mar 18, 2009
  3. industeq

Conformist

As has been stated.....

A capacitor block (which contains two capacitors) is used. The three speeds are derrived by...

Low- Put capacitor 1 in series with the fan load (switch into the active/line) and switch through a relay
    Medium- Put capacitor 2 in series with the fan load (switch into the active/line) through a second relay
    High- Have the fan load operate direct on line through a third relay

As stated in another post, the capacitors are located at the point where the relays are installed and the relative looping put there. There is no need to run extra (switched) actives to the fan load.

Hope this helps

Alan if you need further help, PM me and I'll explain further.

Conformist, Mar 18, 2009
  4. industeq

znelbok

I think a quick line diagram would help immensely here - even f the OP does not need one it will help those in the future who find the thread.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 19, 2009
  5. industeq

industeq

Very, Very true

Each country abroad has their own wiring standards, rules & regulations.

Here in the United States there is only 3 wires that connect to the electrical box that the fan mounts / hangs from.
    1 Black wire (Hot / Line voltage)
    1 White wire (Neutral)
    1 Green or bare copper wire (Earth Ground)

Inside a majority of consumer ceiling fans there is a 3 way pull string to select the 3 speeds.
    Even the wall mount fan controls have just the 3 above wires.

Not having a fan apart lately I am presuming there is a bank of capacitors for speed regulation inside the fan.

I will see if I can dig up some internal wiring on the USA fans for a tool for Clipsal interfacing.

Alan Dobbs

industeq, Mar 20, 2009
Ask a Question