Ceiling Fan on Dimmer Channel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorr, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jorr

jorr

Hi All,

I have been told by a colleague that I can put sweep fan on a dimmer channel instead of buying a sweep fan controller.

Is this correct?

If yes, What brands or model numbers should I be looking for.

Thanks heaps!!

jorr, Nov 27, 2012
  2. jorr

Conformist

Bad idea! The fan may well hum.

The fan controller was developed specifically to do this (control a fan). Why wouldn't you use the right device to do the job?

Conformist, Nov 27, 2012
  3. jorr

jorr

Hello Conformist,

It will save me the expense of buying a fan controller, and I already have a spare dimmer channel in the area. This guy has his fans on presets of 30%, 60% and Off. Says they have been in for 10 years and never had any humming problems. He says they're Clipsal branded.

If you say I'd be better off with a fan controller, then I guess I should consider going down that path??

Thanks

jorr, Nov 27, 2012
  4. jorr

jboer

While it may work with some motors, I would be very hesitant as I have seen more than one transformer or motor turn into crackling from being put on a dimmer. Generally any coil doesn't like getting chopped up waves :)

Here is a good link that explains it well: http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/kingery02.htm

jboer, Nov 27, 2012
  5. jorr

Conformist

Hi Jorr

The brand makes no difference. It can come down to the individual fan itself with looseness in the laminations. Any chopping of the sine wave can introduce hum and/or buzz. That's the main reason we developed the fan controller that uses the capacitor that was supplied with the fan to make it as easy as possible.

If switchboard space is a problem (and you have access to the roof space), put the unit in the roofspace in the purpose-built enclosure. The fan controller is rated at high temperature for this very reason. I put two in last weekend and was so glad we put the terminal strip in the enclosure for the C-Bus connection... no need to do crimping of a C-Bus cable in the dark, hot roofspace.

I strongly suggest you convince your client to use the 'fit for purpose' solution. Those still hot nights at least will be quiet from the perspective of fan noise... :eek:

Cheers

Conformist, Nov 27, 2012
Ask a Question