cbus1 5031N key input on cbus2 network

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by sevenone, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sevenone

sevenone

hello,

I am looking to put together a new cbus network, using new cbus2 relays and dimmers. I have though been given some old but brand new still in box single gang key input devices. They are part no 5031N and dated 1/3/96 !

After searching the forums, I'm thinking they might work on the new cbus2 network. Seems a shame not to use them if they will work, especially in areas that done need anything really fancy, but I am concerned about reliability of the network itself. Or maybe I have it completely wrong, and they just won't work?

Thanks,

Matt

sevenone, Feb 8, 2007
  2. sevenone

tobex

My C-Bus is made with parts labelled "Opera House" and new C-Bus 2 modules. When I asked clipsal to send me anything that they could spare they were kind enough to send me pieces of Australian icons .... very old pieces too. Several years on I see no appreciable defects or problems.

If anything ... some of the very first C-Bus DIN series 8 channel dimmers are a little sensitive and tend to blow channels. Since C-Bus 2 I have not seen these problems in the DIN series.

There may be some higher features missing from the older modules but the essential functions are all included.

tobex, Feb 8, 2007
  3. sevenone

PSC

Beware of the dreaded C7!!! :eek:

Pre 1997 product.

PSC, Feb 8, 2007
  4. sevenone

Newman

Matt

In general, the only things that are missing your 5031N and a brand-new 5031NL manufactured today are Learn Mode, Serial Numbers, you have red LEDs (Learn Mode units have orange) and some minor hardware mods. The C-Bus protocol and all products remain 100% backwards compatible.

The name change from C-Bus to C-Bus2 was a marketing decision to announce to the public that C-Bus products now included Learn Mode.

Newman, Feb 9, 2007
  5. sevenone

sevenone

Excellent news. thanks!
    The switches in question will just be used in locations where it is just a bit hard to justify having a new switch. Like controlling an outside light (switch mounted inside, behind a curtain).

cheers,

Matt

sevenone, Feb 9, 2007
  6. sevenone

UncleSam

some things don't age gracefully

While in theory these units should work with no problems on a network populated with more recent C-bus products, I have a word of caution.

Though these units appear to be brand new and still in original packages there is no garantee that they have not been exposed for example to extreems of heat and/or cold and/or humidity that could (particularly over time) cause electronic components to age past their useful life. in particular some electronic components (electrolytic capacitors) can literaly 'dry out' if not used for extended periods.

By all means proceed with the installation, you have nothing to loose by using these units, but be prepared for them to have a higher fatality rate than one would normally expect from new units.

UncleSam, Feb 9, 2007
  7. sevenone

Phil.H

I have all sorts of old gear in my place. Old first generation DIN units (green) from old training boards plus a mixture of 503X key inputs, plus a Xxnder, plus a PAC and it all works without the slightest fart. I do have some backup key inputs just in case the old red LED units give up the ghost. At this point all going well.

I was going to say I have collected the gear over the last 9 years of working with C-Bus - in the early years as a Systems Integrator, but PSC always jumps on that subject... Bugger, I can hear him coming out of his kennel now :D

Phil.H, Feb 9, 2007
  8. sevenone

PSC

In my day... ;)

PSC, Feb 10, 2007
  9. sevenone

Phil.H

You young guys...

How did you hit them today ?? ;)

Phil.H, Feb 10, 2007
Ask a Question