CBus v1 issues

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by GeorgeKosmas, Feb 29, 2016.

1. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Hi Guys,
    I have been called up to have a look an old CBus v1 system (most devices are even showing on v1.0 firmware).

They have:
    - 2 x CBUS v1 - 4 channel dimmers
    - 1 x CBUS v1 - 4 channel relay
    - 1 x CBus v1 - power supply
    - 1 x Some form of clock device (part number 6000M1 written on it)

The call was to have a look at a single button switch that was intermittently not working. Thinking it was the switch since it is located in the bathroom I went to replace the switch. When i got on site I found that I was unable to reliably scan the whole network. Different devices would show up as "not responding" each time i run a scan. I tried to access the new switch on the network for over an hour but Toolkit was "Unable to identify" it even though I tried it on a test bench without an issue.

I put my CBus tester on it and the network. The error on the tester keeps bouncing between "Add Burden" and "Remove Burden" every 3-4 seconds.

I have seen many issues on these old systems where the power supplies look like they are working fine but are causing the cbus network to play up. I am not sure if this is one of those times.

Has anyone else seen this sort of issue before?

GeorgeKosmas, Feb 29, 2016
  2. GeorgeKosmas

ashleigh Moderator

This sounds like an installation getting to 15-20 years old.

Suggest as your first step you disconnect the PS, and temporarily patch in a new one - see what happens.

If that sorts it, replace the PC. If not you may have to dig deeper.

ashleigh, Feb 29, 2016
  3. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Thanks for that.

I'll arrange a time with the client and give it a go.

Fingers cross its just a PS.

GeorgeKosmas, Mar 2, 2016
  4. GeorgeKosmas

wilma288

I have a network installed in 1999 which has about 20 V1 relay / dimmers units on it as well as several new units including touch screens and a wiser1.

I was told by the C-Bus support guys here in NZ that I should replace them about 2 years ago as they were prone to failing / putting out too much voltage which may be you issue here. Chuck a multimeter on it to see

Best option is to replace regardless even it this is not the problem.

From there probably disconect one unit at a time and see if that fixes yor issue as old and new unit will work fine together.

Also wouldnt hurt to suggest to the client to look at replacing / upgrading these units over time as they are probably at the end of there life cycle.

I have had a couple of the units ive mentioned become non-responsive, however they have never stopped me connecting to the network.

wilma288, Mar 7, 2016
Ask a Question