CBUS Universal Dimmer LED options

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PaGeY, Jan 31, 2011.

1. PaGeY

PaGeY

I have CBUS universal dimmers (image attached) running Possum transformers and 50w halogen mr16 globes.

I am looking at the most cost effective way to change to LED down-lighting. I am trying to get rid of the heat and power consumption of the current solution.

I have read a few threads and some seem to conflict, can I just change transformers and globes, do I have to change the fitting and get drivers, are there any cabling changes required from the dimmers?

Advice appreciated

Attached Files:

PaGeY, Jan 31, 2011
  2. PaGeY

NickD Moderator

Given you have existing wiring for low voltage transformers and MR16 lamps, the simplest option is to look for an MR16 replacement.

Unfortunately from what I've heard there don't seem to be many good quality options in this area.

The next option is to replace both the fitting and the transformer. There are some good quality options here, and given I have DIN universal dimmers in my place, this is the path I will be going down.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Pierlite Starburst.. I know the people who designed them and I know they work with the C-Bus dimmers, and I would be very comfortable that they will be well designed.

They are not *cheap*, but personally I have no doubt they will be cheaper in the long run than buying Chinese GU10 or MR16 replacements which are only ~1/3 of the price.

Nick

NickD, Jan 31, 2011
Ask a Question