Cbus & toolkit - programming and connection help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jdebellis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Jdebellis

Jdebellis

Hi all. I've read lots on this forum and need help if anyone can provide it

I bought a new house with all cbus 2. I have multiple dimming and relay modules. Shutter modules for auto blinds. And an rs 232 serial pc interface

I'm trying to connect the system to my computer as it has never been programmed the way I would like.

I have downloaded the toolkit from the CIS website, and I have a serial to USB cable to connect the cbus pc connection to my notebooks USB port, but nothing happens

Any tricks anyone can advise me on how to get the pc and cbus system to talk to each other

I have lots of lights that I would like to program to work how i would like them to work, sensors for auto lights that go on and off at the wrong times ect, dlt wall switches I would like to name and set to the lights I would like to control ect.

But I just can't seem to get cbus to talk to my pc. What could I be doing wrong

Just to recap. Cbus 2, rs232 serial cbus connection, serial to USB cable, notebook with xp pro. I also have another notebook with win 7 I could use if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks for you advice.

Jdebellis, Aug 26, 2012
  2. Jdebellis

DarylMc

Congratulations on your new purchase.

You could consider doing the basic CBus training course and I think there are some available soon in your area.

http://events.clipsal.com/CIS/Course.aspx?id=E525019

The RS232 interface you have is a handy device and a few people including myself have connected a serial to ethernet device server so you can connect via TCP (or you could purchase a CNI ethernet interface).

It's nice to work wirelessly on your laptop instead of being tethered to the switchboard.

Regarding your connection, I would check device manager and see which COM port is being used and that everything looks ok there then select it in Toolkit under File/Select default interface.

Maybe disable the firewall?

Some info here http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255&highlight=dontronics

The search function on this forum is very helpful and also the help files in Toolkit and Piced.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    DarylMc, Aug 26, 2012
  3. Jdebellis

Brendan Rogers

How to connect to your C-Bus home automation using Toolkit software.

Hi Jdebellis,

Home owners asked us to put together a very specific step-by-step guide to help them connect their PC to their C-Bus home automation systems using Toolkit software. You may download a detailed pdf guide on this using the text link near the center of this website page: http://www.cleverhome.com.au/home-automation-programming.shtml

In addition to all the helpful information DarylMc has provided above, you may also find the above pdf guide helpful. The above website page also summarises the different C-Bus interfaces that may be used to connect to your PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    Brendan Rogers, Aug 26, 2012
  4. Jdebellis

Jdebellis

Thanks guys

Call me an idiot, but if I had bothered installing a USB to serial device driver for the cable, then it might have worked. Doh!

So now that I have done that, presto, the cbus connects and I can see the project.

So now to see if I can make heads or tails of the software and get some programming action happening, without blowing anything up.

If not, looks like one of the forum gurus in Sydney might get some work from me.

Wish me luck

Jdebellis, Aug 26, 2012
  5. Jdebellis

DarylMc

Great

Once you have scanned the network with Toolkit and before you start making changes, make a backup of your project and store it somewhere safe.

The only other tip I can think of right now is that you will have a burden on the CBus network.
    It can be a hardware device or a software operated device but if it is a software burden it needs to be turned on for CBus unit 1.

See this post to avoid making changes and causing this problem.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=software+burden

Good luck

DarylMc, Aug 26, 2012
Ask a Question