Cbus to KNX translator.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ingo, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Ingo

Ingo

This post on the Comfort forum was very interesting. It seems that they now have a CbustoKNX translator that can connect these two networks together without the use of a Comfort alarm system.

I think there will be new Cbus opportunities opening up when these two systems can talk to each other. Even Wiser can now control KNX devices.

http://www.comfortforums.com/forum25/2662.html

Ingo

Ingo, Dec 24, 2011
  2. Ingo

kjayakumar

Uhm. I'm not sure exactly how you formed that conclusion. Perhaps you meant that through the use of additional devices and mapping between C-Bus and KNX, some semblance of control can be achieved. It should be made clear that Wiser can not directly control KNX devices.

kjayakumar, Dec 26, 2011
  3. Ingo

Ingo

That's exactly what I meant. I also just read the marketing info from the Comfort forum so the information I have is the same that you have.

Ingo

Ingo, Dec 26, 2011
  4. Ingo

nickrusanov

really nice. i wonder if it could connect C-Bus devices to a variety of KNX climate control units

nickrusanov, Dec 28, 2011
  5. Ingo

ashleigh Moderator

Nick, that will depend on how the climate control devices work.

The mapping is to KNX telegrams of:

1 bit (on / off only)
    4 bits (relative dimming)
    1 byte (scaled absolute value)
    2 bytes (floating point)
    time
    date

The things to watch out for are that KNX dimming works in a very different way to C-Bus dimming, using relative dimming commands and the fade rates or times are often preset in the KNX output units. (Some allow it to be changed over the bus but this is done using a different KNX group. The concept of a single group that conveys level and rate at the same time does not exist in KNX).

C-Bus climate control uses some quite complex messages and relies on state information being kept in thermostats / control units. It has no map to KNX at all. The components of this *might* be able to map to some parts, but last I looked there were hundreds of KNX climate / air-con control telegrams and figuring out which should be used for what purpose is something of a challenge. Some of those will map to the 4 bit and 1 byte telegram sizes that this converter can send.

My guess is that basic on/off control will map over, but after that it will either get extremely complex or will not be possible. It would be interesting to find out.

ashleigh, Dec 29, 2011
  6. Ingo

nickrusanov

C-Bus climate control could have a lot of potential, but with current thermostats is not useful for most applications. Warm floor control, IR control of AC, RS232/485/IP control of AC - no use for thermostats. It means that we do not need HVAC Aplication for climate, we only need to send simple setpoint commands to KNX thermostats and AC gateways, using C-Bus groups, and KNX will do the rest

nickrusanov, Jan 18, 2012
  7. Ingo

2SC

This device seems very promising. Very weird why comfort should do the job.

Since the use of such a device will multiply the programming time I wonder if this is a good solution just for the heating and climate control, where C-Bus has not descent solution, and not for small residential lighting/shutter control systems.

On the other hand, I would love to use Mark2 TS or wiser to KNX systems
    Does anyone knows how much it costs? I can't find it on the net.

2SC, Jan 26, 2012
  8. Ingo

Memphix

Its products like these that make you question Schneiders choice to keep their KNX products out of the Australian market.

Perhaps this will push Schneider in the right direction.:cool:

Memphix, Aug 5, 2017
  9. Ingo

DarylMc

I think I heard some mention of KNX at the new Wiser Automation controller release.
    Wouldn't hurt to ring and ask.

DarylMc, Aug 5, 2017
Ask a Question