Cbus to DMX interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dhab, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dhab

dhab

can anyone help on how to interface DMX to Cbus?...
    One way is use a DMX to ethernet adaptor and write code to control from PICED....any other ideas, shortcuts or even appllication?

thanks
    dhab

dhab, Jun 27, 2006
  2. dhab

Duncan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
    Duncan, Jun 28, 2006
  3. dhab

Newman

Note, however, that the 12-Channel Pro Range cannot convert C-Bus to DMX or vice versa. It's output channels can be selectively under the control of one or the other.

Newman, Jun 28, 2006
  4. dhab

dhab

all i want to do is control power Leds from cbus input units....I have the impressino that the Dimmer units you refer to have only one way communication (that is control Cbus from DMX and not the other way around)...Am I wrong?

dhab, Jun 28, 2006
  5. dhab

Newman

The dimmer units have essentially no linking between DMX and C-Bus. The only "link", to use the term loosely, is when you switch the channels from DMX control back to C-Bus control you have the choice of either getting the unit to send out C-Bus messages to make the C-Bus groups match the current channel level or alternatively dimming the channels up and/or down to match the current C-Bus levels.

For C-Bus control of DMX gear I have seen or heard of a few different things being done like a PAC controlling an RS-232 -> DMX converter or a C-Bus Analogue output unit connected to a 0-10V -> DMX converter.

Newman, Jun 28, 2006
  6. dhab

dhab

thanks alot Newman....i ll give it a go at both solution....i m curious to see the impedence match using the analogue output...i was hoping to avoid the APC

dhab, Jun 28, 2006
  7. dhab

Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden, Jun 28, 2006
  8. dhab

JohnC

Hi dhab. Maybe a dumb question, but is there any specific reason why you want to use DMX ?

You don't state that you want to control C-Bus loads with DMX. The way I read it you just want to control the levels of some LEDs from C-Bus ?

If this is the case, there are a number of solutions that don't require the complexity of DMX... If you need dimming how about using a directly supported protocol like DALI or even Analogue 0-10V ?

There aren't really *that* many brands of LEDs out there... anything (using your words) "power"-ful is most likely to be using Luxeon emitters. And you'll find that there's controllers for Luxeon that use DALI or 0-10v.

I don't know whether I'd like to do full RGB and really complex stuff with these simple protocol, but your original post implies that you only need simple control. If that's the case, you don't need DMX.

If you really do need something more, I've seen some amzing things done with relatively simple components... there are plenty of little RGB effect driver boxes out there that can be programmed with cool things and then switched on and off or cycled between programs.

Please clarify what exactly is required, load types, effects, etc.

Cheers, John

JohnC, Jun 28, 2006
  9. dhab

Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden, Jun 28, 2006
  10. dhab

dhab

Im afraid that its a number of projects we are talking about and most of them need RGB senarios. For just a coupleof loads the analogue output is ideal, but when it comes to exterior lighting of builldings with lots of power Leds it becomes difficult. Plus the fact that not all LEd controllers use 0-10V ....some use 1-10V (current contrl). Ill have alook at Luxeon controllers but i need to find the distribution network for eupore....thanks for your comments
    PS long distances is something worrying when using the 0-10 analogue output

dhab, Jul 4, 2006
Ask a Question