Cbus networks

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by grssll, Jul 22, 2020.

1. grssll

JasonY00

200mA is still about 10 devices albeit relatively ok on paper.

Perhaps bridging it at the one wire segment and at the other end use a dimmer/relay with a 200mA built in supply to power up the second network. That way you would never be able to add more units and you would never have more than 18mA on the one wire segment as the two networks would be electrically isolated.

Maybe that’s overkill, but I like to be conservative especially if someone else may come along afterwards and add a whole lot of stuff without knowing or checking.

JasonY00, Aug 30, 2020
  2. grssll

Ashley

That's not how it works. If you get a short on your single pair segment it will be carrying the full available current.

If you were doing this for yourself fine (well I wouldn't), but why would you offer this to a client? Providing an unsupported and out of spec system that you are responsible for. Just quote them to do it properly.

Ashley, Aug 30, 2020
  3. grssll

chromus

Short answer is don’t.

It will drastically affect ur VDSL signal for your clIents NBN.

As Ashley mentioned it’s an unsupported environment from a CBUS point of view.

While Pink CBUS cable is effectively Cat5, we as professionals shouldn’t be installing any less than cat6/6a for data in this day and age.

chromus, Aug 30, 2020
  4. grssll

JasonY00

100% agree with the issue of a short on the one pair segment with all current flowing through the one conductor The only qualifier was that the maximum current was 1200mA. As mentioned, you also don’t know what someone would do afterwards.

JasonY00, Aug 31, 2020
  5. grssll

JasonY00

Is it possible for you to install powerline Ethernet between the two points?

That way you can still adhere to the 2 conductor standard of CBus cabling, have your RS485 and your Ethernet.

If you are running out of the same switchboard, in my experience it is very reliable and gives quite good data rates.

JasonY00, Aug 31, 2020
  6. grssll

grssll

Will try powerline adapters as I have them lying around. Ethernet only needed for IP cameras on the other end.
    I have offered the client to run extra cable but its little complicated and no one wants to pay extra.
    Cheers
    George

grssll, Aug 31, 2020
Ask a Question