CBUS Logging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CJ Polo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. CJ Polo

CJ Polo

As you all know if there is a problem in CBUS or Device around CBUS the best place to find it is the Logs. But i believe there should be a few additions not only to the toolkit software but also to either the PAC or CNI.
    First of all to the toolkit software there should be an AUTOSAVE feature for the log which you can set to a certain time period, because there is nothing worse when you are logging a job and you go off for an hour and come back and the power has be knocked out and the computer has turned off or toolkit has been shut and all the logs are gone.
    Secondly as solid state memory is so cheap now days i believe there should either be an addon device or build it into the CNI or PAC to actually store logs of what is happening on the network, and be able to download it some way.

Let me know your thoughts.

CJ Polo, Sep 23, 2008
  2. CJ Polo

Nathan

great idea saves lugging a pc to sit or temp installing a colour touchto log.

I had a faulty 1 gang switch once that dropped the cgate network every 4-8hrs it took 3 weeks to find.

Nathan, Sep 23, 2008
  3. CJ Polo

______.

I don't think Clispal really needs to invest the time and money to create a fault finding/logging device for C-Bus, i'm sure there are many other things that money could be better spent on. If the market really does need clipsal to make such a device then i'd start to worry about the QC of the hardware coming out of the factory or the people who are installing C-Bus and having all these problems.
    I adgree that from time to time there is a need to log a site for problems, but in the past i have left an old laptop onsite running schedule plus/homegate and have the logs save to the pc which allows you to log a site for weeks if need be. Plus you can easily review the log while on site with out the need for any downloading.

Just my 2cents

______., Sep 23, 2008
  4. CJ Polo

NickD Moderator

Autosave of the toolkit logs is a good idea.... it has been added to the list.

In the meantime, you can get cgate to generate a log file.. there are some instructions here on how to enable it.

Flash memory may well be dirt cheap now, however the complexity it would add to both the hardware and development of the products would push the cost of all of them up significantly, and most people don't want to pay for functionality they will never use.

Nick

NickD, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question