CBUS learn mode question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by walkeraj, Mar 15, 2007.

1. walkeraj

walkeraj

Ok, I've searched the forums, searched the clipsal site...

where can I find thelearn mode instructions for teaching an 8 channel dimmer
    what channels are for which button on a saturn.

I simply cant remember the order of key presses, hold down durations etc..

They dont make it easy do they?

walkeraj, Mar 15, 2007
  2. walkeraj

ashleigh Moderator

its pretty easy:

go to the dimmer, press and hold the local override button for the channel you want to learn. hold it for about 10 seconds.

you can let go of the local override button when you see the UNIT and CBUS leds flash alternately

Then go to the key unit you want to join
    Press and release the button you want to link to the output

now go back to the output unit (dimmer) again, press and hold briefly that local override button again until the unit and cbus LEDs stop their flashing.

Viola!

ashleigh, Mar 15, 2007
  3. walkeraj

Phil.H

..... then get yourself a PC interface, download Toolkit and commission the gear the proper way.

Shhhh. I can hear Ashleigh getting the cane out of the cupboard.

Quick - run awayyyy :D

Phil.H, Mar 16, 2007
  4. walkeraj

walkeraj

Hi, yes I have a b&w touch screen which I can connect to the PC but I had friends comming round that night and hadn't set the 2nd half of a saturn to control the ceiling light of a new install so needed a quick method without looking for the PC to touch screen cable and loading the project, etc, etc..

Thanks for the info.

One last question if I may, I am still pretty new to cbus and have not fully got to grips with the toolkit.

I have a 4 button saturn which I want to controll three channels of a dimmer.

Using the learn mode it configures the saturn to use two buttons for each channel for dimming up/dimming down (left two buttons for one channel and the right two for the other) and so I am thinking I should have gone for the 6 button saturn to control the other channel.

If I had have gone for the 6 button would it have set channel 3 to be the bottom two of the 6 buttons, because that would have seemed a little strange or does it use left and rights for dim up/dim down on each channel when you have 6 buttons?

So, to get around my problem with 4 buttons having to control 3 channels will the toolkit allow me to change the operation of the dimming so I can use just one button for a channel. So to set the dimming I simply hold the button to dim up or hold it to dim down and single press will set fully on or fully of depending on the current state? Is this possible?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

walkeraj, Mar 16, 2007
  5. walkeraj

pbelectrical

Yes toolkit will allow you to do this and more.

Peter.

pbelectrical, Mar 16, 2007
  6. walkeraj

NickD Moderator

Using learn mode, if you only press a single key on your Saturn, then it should be configured as a single key dimmer, with the operation you describe (alternate dim up/down on long press, toggle on short press). If, while in learn, you press two keys, they will be assigned to "On/Up" and "Off/Down". From memory the first one you press becomes the "On/Up" key.

Nick

NickD, Mar 18, 2007
  7. walkeraj

walkeraj

yes your right nick

single key press during learn mode and its one button up/down dimming
    two button key press and its two button up/down dimming.

many thanks,

walkeraj, Mar 19, 2007
  8. walkeraj

Geek

Crestron with Cbus

Hey guys, I am stumbble on this group when i was searching for ways to make clipsal work with crestron. I hope you guys can help me.

I have a PCI interface, and Cbus 8 channel dimming module. I could communicate with it once i establish communication with the PCI interface. I would then be able to control the dimming module with crestron touchpanel.

However, after i power down and power up again the PCI, i could not control the dimmer anymore, reason being that the PCI is giving me an exclamation mark, which means a error or unrecorganized. I would have to establish communication with Cbus Toolkit and after which i will be able to control.

I have contacted Australia Tech support of Clipsal, although he has help me a lot, i could not do a work around solution after the dimmer power down.

Is there any RS232 command to simulate toolkit establish communication, which i could enter it in Crestron Programming. This could then simulate the communication request to PCI and could solve my present problem? I need help deseperately. Thanks in advance guys.

Geek, Mar 19, 2007
  9. walkeraj

ashleigh Moderator

ashleigh, Mar 19, 2007
Ask a Question