"Cbus Learn" Manual?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moke007, May 26, 2010.

1. moke007

moke007

Does anyone know if there is more information about the Cbus Learn mode other than the quick start guide?

I have installed a very basic system:
    2 x 4 button IR input units
    2 x 4 button switch input units

8 channel relay unit (5 loads used)
    4 channel dimmer unit (2 loads used)

We have no problem "learning" various buttons to the appropriate loads. Several loads have more than one button associated. All works fine.

We had a button spare and thought it would be good to have it as an all on / all off. As we "learned" each load channel to its appropriate button, we also selcted the all button. How ever it does not work :-(

We also had a couple of odd things occur with indicator lights on the input units flashing when we were changing some associations in learn mode. The quick start guide dosn't really explain this and I thought there should be a more indepth manual available. I looked through the training manuals but these only cover the computer software options.

thanks
    Jim

moke007, May 26, 2010
  2. moke007

Don

I'm not sure that it's the same as the quick-start guide, so it may be useful to download the user guide for the DLT:

http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/__data/page/428/DLT Rectangular Series Users Guide2.pdf

- it has a good description of the use of Learn for configuring normal switches, timers, and scenes, all of which works the same on NEO/Saturn key units as it does on DLT units. Apart from area address, it covers pretty much all of Learn features as far as unit configuration goes.*

As for area address - it can be set up the following way:

1) enter learn from one of your output units
    2) select every channel on all output units that are going to participate in the area address control. For area address selection, it is important that units either have all terminals selected, or none at all. It is not recommended to have one or two terminals on a unit participating in the area addressing, and if this is attempted, you will mess up normal programming for that unit.
    3) select the button on key unit(s) you want to use to provide the 'all off '/ 'all on ' functions.
    4) exit learn from any output unit which has ALL of its channels selected.

The result is that the buttons on key units will be configured with short press = rampoff / long press = recall 100%

*Learn mode is also useful as a tool to fix basic network problems. From an output unit, when learn is entered, the unit tries to configure clock and burden for the network to achieve communication. If it succesful, it leaves the network in a communicating state. If it fails, then it leaves the network in the best state for another output unit to fix what issues remain ( i.e. too many burdens), so invoking learn from each output unit in turn can in some cases, bring a network into optimal communication conditions.

Don, May 26, 2010
  3. moke007

moke007

Wow Don, thankyou for such a great reply. I now know why it didn't work as I only selected the outputs that had a load connected instead of all otputs.

"The result is that the buttons on key units will be configured with short press = rampoff / long press = recall 100%"

Would you mind explaining this a little? Short press will turn everything off and long press will turn all channels on?

moke007, May 26, 2010
  4. moke007

Don

that's right

Don, May 26, 2010
  5. moke007

IanBuckle

On/Off button for group address does not work as expected

I'm also trying to setup one button for all channels off/on , but via c-bus toolkit

I have all 4 output dimmers set to "area" group 19.

However the only way I can get it working it to turn all channels on first , before turning all of them off . I just want to turn off the channels that are currently on.

Under key functions I have short press set to "off"
    and long press set to "on"

I have also managed to set the button to all "off" by creating a scene, and for the scene set the level to 0% in the commands section for the area group "19" . However I cannot use this same button for all on.

For "all on" I really want it to be a long press to stop people from turning "all on" easily .

I would be very greatful for any pointers.

Thanks
    Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
    IanBuckle, Jun 19, 2010
  6. moke007

Don

The 'Off' function on a key only issues an OFF command on the network if the internal level of the key unit for that group is not already 'OFF'. The 'On' function compliments this behaviour.

If you want a button that will always issue a command on the bus to set the group to the same level each time it is pressed, you need something else.

There are several ways to issue an OFF command on the bus every time:
    1) RampOff - this will always issue a command on the bus which will end up with the affected group in the OFF state, irrespective of internal state. The Ramp OFF time used here is different from the dimming ramp rate used by UP/Down keys, and is shared by only the RampRecall function, so can be set to zero if appropriate.

2) in all units except mask 1.00 firmware, the recall level can be set to 0, and consequently any Recall function can be used to force a command to turn groups OFF, irrespective of internal state.

For what you describe, I suggest the key functions could be:
    just pressed: idle
    short release:RampOff (with ramp2 time set to 0, or whatever is appropriate)
    long press: Recall1 (with level of 100% set for recall1)
    long release: idle

Don, Jun 20, 2010
  7. moke007

IanBuckle

Thanks don . Perfect.

IanBuckle, Jun 23, 2010
Ask a Question