Cbus integration with gsm gate controller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cg888, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Cg888

Cg888

Hello All

I hope someone can help. I am a complete novice with cbus. I just looking to find out if my unit needs to be reprogrammed in some way.

So basically. I have a cbus unit 4 channel which controls some outside functions at a gate, such as pillar lights, bollard lights etc. So I can toggle these on and off at the cbus unit, I.e. Override or at a face plate located in the house.

Current there is a gsm gate controller linked into the gate cbus unit, via the relay terminals under neath the cbus unit and in turn these relay terminals are connected to relay outs on the gsm controller.

I am assuming then when a call is made to the gsm controller and a keypad number on the phone is entered the relay is activated. Current selecting number 1 is fine. The gate simply opens, but selecting any other number nothing happens.

So the question is, is there a way to find out if the cbus unit needs to relearn the input command from the relays? If so is learning mode the way to do this.

Many thanks in advance

Cg888, Apr 12, 2018
  2. Cg888

Ashley

Not really sure what you mean here. How exactly is the gsm unit connected into Cbus? It sounds like you only have a 4 channel relay which will not accept inputs. Is there another cbus input device there? What do you mean by the relays UNDER the cbus unit?

Did it ever work? If you can control the cbus relay unit from a cbus switch in the house it is unlikely a relay issue.

Ashley, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Cg888

lcrowhurst

Is the Cbus relay (channel) wired in parallel with the gsm relay, so that if either the Cbus contact is closed or if the gsm contact is closed the gate operates? Im guessing that the Cbus and Gms controller are effectively two seperate systems, with only the paralleling of the gate control Chanel’s. if you want to control say the lights via gsm then that will require another chanel/relay on the gsm controller, the gsm contoller to be programmed, and cables paralleling up with the Cbus relay Chanel that control the set of lights you want to control.

lcrowhurst, Apr 12, 2018
  4. Cg888

Cg888

Hello

Thank you for your prompt reply. The system was working according to the previous owner, but the property has been vacant for a number of years, so I am trying to get my head around this.

Yes they are two different systems. Hopefully the pics will explain it better.

So everything seems to be wired ok, but the only option that works is for opening the gate option 1 which I assume is hard wired into the gate controller. No other options are working.

Do the channel need to relearn?

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

Cg888, Apr 12, 2018
  5. Cg888

Cg888

Just a quick question on a backlight panel. One panel does not have a background glow. Is it knacker or is there a way the brighten the backlight

Cg888, Apr 12, 2018
  6. Cg888

Ashley

OK, so you have 2 Cbus units. The auxiliary input unit is taking the outputs of the GSM module and using them to trigger Cbus group addresses. These group addresses can then be used to control the relays. Given all four inputs of the aux input unit are wired up I would assume they were all programmed initially.

Working how? Did it work how you want it to now and has now failed, or did it never have this functionality? Cbus units don't loose their programming so if it worked once relearning won't help you. Can you control the individual relay channels from other cbus switches?

The first thing I would do is make sure the gate controller is actually pulsing the auxiliary input unit correctly by measuring across its inputs while triggering the channel. If this works you could then use cbus learn mode to assign the aux inputs to the relay channels. Just follow the learn instructions and when it tells you to push a switch just trigger the appropriate input on the gsm module.

Personally I would just go and buy a Cbus interface (PCI), hook it up, download toolkit, scan the network and you will see exactly what is going on and can change anything you like from a PC. They appear regularly on Ebay.

Ashley, Apr 12, 2018
  7. Cg888

Ashley

You really need to tells us what you are talking about :) What backlight panel? Is this a cbus switch? If so what type? Backlight intensity on cbus switches is programmable, but they do fail.

Ashley, Apr 12, 2018
  8. Cg888

Cg888

Thanks Ashley. The gate switch channel can be controlled from another panel in the house. Would putting the gate switch channel into learning mode effect the switching from the house panel, if I am trying to program the gsm relay.

I am based in the uk, and don't see much cbus stuff at all on eBay. I have been looking out for a damaged touchscreen too as I have been told these have the interface too.

Is it more likely to get used cbus kit from Australia?

Thanks

Cg888, Apr 13, 2018
  9. Cg888

lcrowhurst

Looks for the pictures that there is no power on the cbus units, there is no led on for Unit (power) or C-Bus (show cbus network is power and communicating). Is there power to the relay unit and are both LEDS on?

I agree with ashley, much easier if you get yourself an interface and download toolkit, that way you can see exactly what is going on. cbus installers put up gear on ebay from time to time if your after a second hand one.

lcrowhurst, Apr 13, 2018
  10. Cg888

Ashley

Again you need to tell use what you are taking about. The 'panel' in the house tells us nothing. Is it a Cbus device, a Genius System device or something else? Can you just control the gate from the house or all the relay channels?

Cbus devices communicate via a thing called a group address. Think of a group address as an electrical circuit. Everything with the same group address is effectively connected together. If you put the relay in learn mode and select one of its channels, every switch currently assigned the same group address will light up. Then you can just press any other switches you want to control the same group address.

Ashley, Apr 13, 2018
  11. Cg888

Cg888

Sorry Ashley. The panel in the house is a cbus panel as in pic. Currently in is the only way to turn on the outside lights and hold on gates. I can open the gates via this panel and dialling into the gsm genius system dmg1 presently.

I have attached the a photos of what the very option selections should active.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Cg888, Apr 13, 2018
  12. Cg888

Cg888

Icrow, I just checked the cbus units, there are no LED indicators on the power supply or the aux input unit. Only leds are on the 4 channel

Cg888, Apr 13, 2018
  13. Cg888

Ashley

Your panel is a Cbus DLT (Dynamic Labeling Technology). Yuo can set the backlight to a specific level or control it from another switch, but this has to be setup using Toolkit (the installation software) which requires a serial interface (PCI). The back lights do fail although this is rare.

As for the question about learn mode upsetting existing settings. Yes. Easily. If you put the relay in learn mode it will ignore any current settings and just pick a new group address even if its currently in use elsewhere. I think learn mode was an attempt to make cbus more approachable by beginners and really only designed to be used in place of toolkit. I know of no one that ever uses it.

Given that the gsm unit is already wired up to all 4 inputs of you aux input unit you would have thought those inputs would have been already programmed. Cbus units don't lose their programming (unless someone else tried learn mode of course). I would definitely check that the auxiliary input unit is getting correct signals from the gsm unit. You could even disconnect each input from the aux input unit in turn and wire a simple switch across the inputs and see what happens.

I think you either need to get yourself a PCI or find someone that can lend you one (or get a cbus installer around). They do come up quite regularly on the Aussie Ebay and require no seperate power so they are universal.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2018
  14. Cg888

Ashley

You can't use a 5000ctc as a cbus interface. I think from memory the 5000ctc2/3 and spectrum color touch screens could be used as a usb to cbus interface which might be what he was thinking of.

The options I know for sure are:
    1/ Serial PCI (Generally cheapest on ebay)
    2/ USB PCI
    3/ PAC (Pascal Automation Controller). These come up occasionally on ebay.
    4/ Network CNI (best bet but usually go for much more than a serial PCI)
    5/ Wiser 1 or 2 (has an embedded CNI). Good if you want the extra functionality like remote access.
    6/ The new SHAC automation controller.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2018
  15. Cg888

Cg888

Great thanks. Will keep an eye out for anything on the list.

Cg888, Apr 14, 2018
  16. Cg888

Cg888

Is option4 also called a network bridge

Cg888, Apr 14, 2018
  17. Cg888

Cg888

So tried a few things today.

1. I disconnected the blue and blue/white from the gsm unit, these lead to terminals 4 and 4a on the aux input unit. I crossed the wires thinking that this would switch and something would happen, but nothing.

2. Entered learning mode and selected a channel and crossed the blue and blue/white. Hope the unit would learn, but nothing.

Could it be there is a fault with the aux unit. Is there anyway to tell if it is working correctly. I take it the connects between the input and relay are correct.

At this point I am stumped.

Can you recommend a gsm/intercom unit to replace the dmg1/videx setup which currently have as I suspect something in the videx module as also done, as it is constantly clicking every few seconds.

Is there a gsm/intercom unit with relay outputs ?

Thanks

Noel

Cg888, Apr 14, 2018
  18. Cg888

Cg888

So, whilst trying to learn from the aux input, the channel is now not switching from the DLT

Ffs

Cg888, Apr 14, 2018
  19. Cg888

Cg888

Ok, tried to relearn the channel, but the dlt where I was going to assign flashed up with a button1 ready, toggle switch/dimmer. At this point i panicked as I could not see which button I am trying to program too. Is there a guide for the dlt panel

Cg888, Apr 14, 2018
  20. Cg888

Ashley

Put the relay in learn mode by holding any button for 10 seconds until the two left leds flash alternately. Then select the channel to program and make sure all others are off. Then go to the DLT and press the button you want to assign to the relay. Then press and hold the button on the relay to exit learn mode. Repeat for each channel. Not sure what will happen to the labels as I've never tried learn mode on a DLT.

I've never tried learn mode on an aux input unit. I have one lying around. I'll give it a go when I have a moment. The aux input unit is just a cbus switch without the physical switches and unfortunately no status leds. What you tried sounds correct.

No, a network bridge connects two cbus networks. A CNI which is a computer network (ethernet) to cbus interface.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2018
Ask a Question