CBUS installation photos

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by T666, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T666

T666

sup
    the pdf wiring drawings r cool if u know how to read em
    which i dont

has anyone got a some photos of a cbus instilation?

i would like to see how the power cables should be aranged and conected from the main board and downlight electronic transformers into the cbus modules

- Clipsal 970 (over voltage protection)
    - 5500PC (pc interface)
    - L5508D1AP (8 channel dimmer)
    - Clipsal 4CB108 (minature circut braker)

+ anything else i need 2 see?

i bought all my cbus ages ago and im just about to instaling it now

ps ill take some photos of everything i do as long as i get diplomatic immunity if anything goes wrong

-----------------------
    Detailed Equiptment List
    -----------------------

CONTROL UNITS

[1x] Model: 5500PC
    Clipsal CBUS PC Interface
    Cbus 2 Control/Management system pc INTERFACE din Rail Mount

LIGHTING CONTROL UNITS

[3x] Model: L5508D1AP
    Clipsal CBUS 8 Channel dimmer 250Vac
    1A per channel,
    no C-Bus Power Supply, learn enabled

[1x] Model: L5508D1A
    Clipsal CBUS 8 Channel Dimmer 250Vac
    1A per channel
    200mA C-Bus Power Supply, learn Enabled

[2x] Model: L5504RVFB
    Clipsal CBUS 4 Channel Relay 250Vac
    1A inductive or 10A resistive load per channel
    200mA C-Bus Power Supply, learn Enabled

INTERFACES

[8x] Model: E5052NL- 686
    Clipsal CBUS 1 Gang 2 Button NEO Square Series
    Black Outer Surround, Brushed Aluminum Inner Cover, Black Buttons

[9x] Model: E5054NL- 686
    Clipsal CBUS 2 Gang 4 Button NEO Square Series

[1x] Model: E5058NL- 686
    Clipsal CBUS 4 Gang 8 Button NEO Square Series

[1x] Model: 5031TS
    Clipsal CBUS Tempurature Sensor
    White

[1x] Model: 5031V2TC7
    Clipsal CBUS 7 Day Clock Module Vertical Style
    White

TRANSFORMERS:

[100x] Model: TED-070
    ATCO AKA Speedy.
    50 Watt Electronic Transformer

-----------------------

David D.
    CEO T666/ Violent Entertainment Inc.
    T 6 6 6 – The Nuclear Bomb From Australia.
    Web. http://www.T666.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2006
    T666, Apr 8, 2006
  2. T666

pbelectrical

T666. Are you a qualified electrician?

pbelectrical, Apr 10, 2006
  3. T666

darrenblake

C-Bus photos

pbelectrical, valid question, cant say i know to many electricians who cant read a cabling diagram.
    Unfortunately T666, you wont get a great deal of information on the wiring of the C-Bus devices from a handful of photos.

darrenblake, Apr 10, 2006
  4. T666

T666

sup
    im a licensed guitar player
    so i wont b wiring my house

but im the one who spent 10 grand on the cbus gear
    and im sure there are a few ways to wire it so i want to see photos of pro instals

i understand my original message apears to be saying "show ME how to wire it" well it is, but its not saying that i am the one who is actualy going 2 wire the power side of it. when i sed "ill take photos of things I do" i was refering to photos of things i will have done FOR me by the appropriate peoples"

there is no cause for some military classifiaction of photos... im not invading iraq with them... now just show me the photos :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
    T666, Apr 11, 2006
  5. T666

pbelectrical

How many ways to skin a cat

I dont think that there is an absolute right way to wire a c-bus installation. If your chosen installer follows the principles of c-bus design and the wiring rules you will have no problems. How to be sure that your installer will do this? Research is the answer. Perhaps ask your local Clipsal rep for some recommendations.

Regards,

Peter Brown

pbelectrical, Apr 11, 2006
  6. T666

T666

i know what ur saying man, i just think their should be some photos availble...

clipsal should probibly provide this to avoid some mofo from posting a totaly wrongly wired job heh

most products get fully reveiwed by reputable people like for video cards and so forth where u get realy in depth analisis of the product with photos and everything. its realy helpful...

ill just did a google search for cbus reveiw and found this:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article1173.html

its prety dam cool. but i want more close up pics and so forth.
    I forgot to use the network burden too...
    Anand at clipsal was very cool to help.
    Im bascily here harrasing u to give him a break heh

Goto be more than 1 person whos done a system pro and taken a few pics and so forth...
    Maybe they dont want other people seeing how its done cuz thats prob not good 4 business :D
    But this bein a forum i thout we all m8s here we should help each other out
    If u want to know about guitars i can prob hook u up

:cool:

Peace

D
    D

T666, Apr 11, 2006
  7. T666

Ross

Ross, Apr 11, 2006
  8. T666

PSC

Sup dog,

How's my homey doin?

Hey white buoy, here's da foto's of Ronnie Woods house when he tried to wire the Cbus himself. I think he mite av been smokin some wacky tobacci at the time, but he got it goin in the end.

Don't listen 2 Ross, he's no kool kat! He's 2 old skool...

Stick with me and keep it real!

Keep chillin, bro - all good in the hood sis.

Peace V :cool:

Attached Files:

PSC, Apr 11, 2006
  9. T666

darrenblake

nice photos

PSC, how are the reno's coming along??
    Nice job!!!!!!

darrenblake, Apr 11, 2006
  10. T666

PSC

They could be better, I probably shouldn't have mount the gear directly under the pool as the pool has a really bad leak...

But I have saved a hell of a lot of money using scrap cable that I have found on building sites. It doesn't have to be a the same size does it?

I've also found using scrap telephone jumper wire (twistwed together) works just as well as that over priced pink cat 5. I decided to spray the jumper wire pink just so it will pass the Clipsal inspection process.

A couple of mates have helped me with the install - one's a butcher and the other is a member of the Fedral Labour party; maybe that's why the job hasn't turned out as expected??? :confused:

PSC, Apr 11, 2006
  11. T666

Richo

:D :D ROFLMOA

Richo, Apr 11, 2006
  12. T666

T666

heh... bit of a maze dood :D

so whats the first pick showing what r those termination points?
    second pic looks cool if u had a trapdoor above that for unwelcom guests they could drop down into the live wires and fight them...
    pic 3 looks cool they r the pro dimmers? ps: the cat 5 looping to each dimmer... how come u cut the outer cover back so far? i was thinking of crimping them like normal computer cable? and what are the yellow boxes underneath them??? ps im color blind :D

D
    D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
    T666, Apr 12, 2006
  13. T666

T666

im going to post my pics soon... just like of all the cables... and then after that ill when the cbus is in ill have more :D

T666, Apr 12, 2006
  14. T666

JohnC

LOL - funny thread, dudes !

Anyway, I have a few suggestions for the installer... coz I KNOW that most electricians can't get their head around these fundamentals :

a) Have a dedicated, separate circuit for the Cbus Network side of the Dimmers and Relays. Do NOT loop the Mains Power from the lights across to the Cbus side (first 4 poles of a 12 pole Cbus device). Instead, put them on a separate breaker so the Network will stay alive if another (load-side) circuits trips out a breaker.

b) Spread the loads around - in other words, don't put the Lounge, Dining etc all on one Circuit or Dimmer. Instead, have 1/2 the lounge, half the dining, half the bedroom etc on each circuit. That way, if something blows, you can still use that room (on the other circuit).

c) Consider separate RCD/MCB combinations on each circuit. Usually the distribution boards used to enclose Cbus are 15 modules wide, which gives 3 spare poles next to each dimmer etc. So, it's a no-brainer to use a 2-pole RCD/MCB instead of just a MCB. It's neater too - it's blatenty obvious that the circuit breaker next to each Cbus device is the one that powers it (make sense?)

d) Also, do NOT allow them to wire all your circuits onto ONE RCD (Safety Switch). Yeah, I know it's a bit cheaper, but you will hate life when your fridge or an exterior light trips out the RCD and you lose EVERY SINGLE LIGHT AND POWER SOCKET in the house... it is NOT expensive to add 10A or 16A RCD/MCB combo units on every single circuit !

e) DO NOT chop off each cable to the exact length required to connect to the Cbus relay, etc. Make a long loop, then connect. That way, when in future you decide that you want a compact fluorescent instead of a dimmed halogen, you have enough cable to move it across from a dimmer channel to a relay channel !

f) Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the tag (label) every single load cable that runs out to the house. Most electricians leave you with a rats nest of white TPS cables coming into the board, usually 80 or 100 in a reasonable sized house... and they haven't labelled any of them :mad:
    - This makes future revisions an absolute nightmare - and believe me, there will always be revisions required (irrespective of how clever your planning is)

Cheer, JC

JohnC, Apr 12, 2006
  15. T666

T666

awesome details man :D

i have a 24pole 3 phase clispal enclosure, and [2] x 40 Module Metal Enclosures model: 4C18MEB above that...
    I already have the pc interface(which i think i want to swap for a network interface), 4x8chanel dimmers and 2x4chanel relays
    If i put and 8chanel dimmer and a 4chanel relay side by side looks like im left with only 2 spare poles, if i need a 2pole rcd/mcb for each the dimmer and the relay i wont fit them both on, but if 1 rcd/mcb can be used for both the dimmer and the relay that would be sweet :D im guessing thats not how its spose to be tho :D otherwise i can fit the rcd on the mains board, and the mcb for each module in the cbus enclosure. thats how i was originaly going to do it :D

any tip for me on this matter?

i remmeber energy australia defected us becasue our offpeak hot water was on a single pole breaker and the peak on another and they said that had to be a 2pole... theirs heaps of tite laws on the fine details and heaps of electricians i know have never done cbus before but they are fully licesnesed electricians...

thats why i still think clipsal should release some detailed photo and instilation notes of a perfect cbus instialtion... perhaps 1 of evey type of module hooked in. ill prob go to a show room... and see what they got going but internet photos wood save a drive :D

thanks for all the advices tho, i will post my pics soon of where im up 2!

right now i goto cut out all these mdf panels becasue im building surround sound speaker walls :D

deth 2 tha neibors :p

peace DD

T666, Apr 12, 2006
  16. T666

JohnC

It wouldn't matter if you used a couple of remote RCDs and then had the 2 MCBs next to the Cbus devices. The main thing is to not have just *ONE* RCD (which is all that is required to comply with AS3000) for everything...

A bit of work will need to be done to calculate the loads etc - it might be that you can run 1 x MCB for 2 x 8 channel dimmers... it's all about what the actual connected loads are.

The electrician needs to work that stuff out in accordance with AS3000. I suggest that you program the Cbus AFTER the loads are connected - it's heaps easier than supervising an electrician to install Bathroom light to Dimmer A Channel 2, etc, etc. They can test the electrical connections by using the Local Override buttons, and hand it over to you.

That is the way I like to do my programming... I program the switches off-site, and just assign a Device Name to each Dimmer etc but do not program them. I put a sticker on the front of each Dimmer with my Device Name.

Then I give the electrician a pre-formatted list of all the Dimmers & Channels etc and ask them to fill in what they connected to each device. They take a copy as their "as-installed" documentation and give me the original. Then, since the Group Names are already defined (to program the switches) it takes only a few minutes to open each Output Device in Toolkit, aand assign each channel to whatever the electrician connected to it.

After trying it various ways, this ended up being the fastest and easiest for all parties (I program, but the installation work is sub-contracted).

---------------

The switchboard layout really isn't THAT important. All that really matters is that it works. But neatness can help when you inevitably want to change things in future... some things cannot be done in Cbus and you need to make physical wiring changes.

But to see some for yourself, contact a few Integrators and ask if they have a showroom etc they can show you.

I know that CTI in Ryde have a good Cbus display and a couple of dimmers mounted in behind clear perspex.

This is not a "plug" for CTI, but I remembered them because I went there to look at a touchscreen and they have a great display of nice expensive toys to drool over... be warned - you might get tempted, especially by some of the distributed audio :)

---------------

I'd recommend NOT going with any electrician who can't show you a few installs they have done. It's easy to say "yeah I know Cbus" but the first few times any of us do a job we make a bit of a mess of it, coz we all learn by experience. An experienced electrician might cost a few bucks more, but if you want a nicely laid out system then it might be worth it.

Cheers, John

JohnC, Apr 12, 2006
  17. T666

theboyg

theboyg, Apr 12, 2006
  18. T666

PSC

Now that's how it should be wired :) :) :)

PSC, Apr 12, 2006
  19. T666

Frank Mc Alinden

Looking at the high quality install pic at a wild guess it would seem to me that what actually happened was more like this....

The Member of the political party offered the original sparkie $300.00 less a week to do the job , he for some reason rejected the offer , so highly trained sparkies were brought in from overseas and were paid Butchers wages to complete the job ..;-)

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Apr 12, 2006
  20. T666

Phil.H

PSC

Had a close look at your pics. I can't believe what I saw.

Electrical tape used was THREE different colours !!!

Some people have absolutely no idea. :D

Phil.H, Apr 12, 2006
Ask a Question