CBus & Honeywell Galaxy Integration/Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raven, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi, I'm currently installing CBus as part of a full renovation of my house.

I already have a Honeywell Galaxy 16 alarm panel installed and I would like to interface this to the CBus network. Unfortunately I can't find anything on the web and there are no examples I can find of others doing it.

I believe the Galaxy 16 panel either has an RS232 port installed as standard, or it can be retrofitted via a daughterboard, so transmitting to a PCI or PAS shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know of any software, or if there is a hardware solution to enable CBus to respond to specific signals from the Galaxy?

The key things I'm interested in are:

• Strobing lights if the alarm goes off (preferably linked to the alarm PIR zones)
    • Full house lights off when the alarm is full set (when going out)
    • Ground floor lights off when the alarm is part set (when going to bed)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

If there is no current solution, I have some programming experience; is this something that would be reasonably simple to custom program via the PAS?

Thanks

David.

Raven, Oct 29, 2006
  2. Raven

Wonkey

If you are only looking for a few responses from the galaxy panel then consider using a bus coupler controlled from the Aux outputs of the panel

Wonkey, Oct 30, 2006
  3. Raven

Raven

Thanks Wonkey.

I'm unclear as to how that would work: the Galaxy outputs a coded signal, whereas the bus coupler reacts to a mechanical switching device. I've hunted around for info and I can't find any reference as to how this could work on the Galaxy panel.

You'd think there would be an easy way to link the world's top security panel range to one of the top lighting & automation systems!

Re: Wonkey's suggestion, if possible and straying off CBus somewhat, I'd benefit from any detail as to how this could in fact be done on the Galaxy output side... :confused:

Otherwise, any other suggestions are welcome!

Raven, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Raven

KevinH

The Galaxy has outputs that can be used to control a relay that would then work with a bus coupler. As standard several outputs are provided for things like area set, bells, alarm, abort etc. You can add more outputs using Rio's - indeed you may have a Rio already on your system. Using these you can link any of the inputs (eg PIR's etc) or other informative states to outputs and hence to C-Bus.

Alternatively you can use a serial interface and output status info this way, you can include 'logged' zone messages in this as well but you will have to recreate your zones as 'Custom A or B' to do this. Effectively this output is what would be sent to an attached printer. You can also define zone inputs into Galaxy that are triggered by C-Bus relays. So you can do quite a bit of C-Bus/Galaxy integration this way. There are full 2 way protocols (Microtech and SIA) available via a Galaxy communications interface which allow true realtime integration with the panel in a semi polled way but they are not publicly released and your alarm maintainer is likely to have serious concerns should you go that route - NACOS regs I believe.

I use both serial log messages and outputs on my system, I have placed all the most frequently reported changes on outputs as I found that the Galaxy log output is slow and cumbersome, and also slows the RS485 bus.

You should be able to parse this serial stream directly with C-Bus hardware controllers (PAC ?) - it's quite simple . I dont however integrate directly Galaxy to C-Bus. I have a small device/application that converts Galaxy output information to the xAP protocol over Ethernet and I use a xAP to C-Bus gateway for the latter bit. xAP is a broadcast style protocol which allows all your 'home automation' devices to interact with each other. Now you can use any xAP capable software (mostly free) to manage the interaction between Galaxy and C-Bus . This middle steps allows C-Bus and Galaxy to be able to interact with loads of other devices too. I have for example (whilst nightset) downstairs PIR activations display named on my bedside mp3 player which also plays an alarm sound, C-Bus lights can be triggered as needed and in my case some follow PIR activations. C-Bus because of its features and dependability forms the pivotal appliance/lighting control network in my home and xAP just layers my 'fancy features' on top of that.

K

KevinH, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Raven

Raven

Thanks Kevin, that's useful.

Aside from CBus, which I've started installing and will use throughout, I am still looking at the best systems for heating and automation/centralisation control and ConvergeX is looking quite good and the master runs from a server PC, much like CQC. By the sound of it, using your method with a little bit of tweaking, possibly with mini scripts, if not controlled, the Galaxy could at least be used to transmit its signals to the entire rest of the house system.

Both of you, thanks for the responses.

I'll post my feedback once I move forward with something. :)

Raven, Dec 5, 2006
  6. Raven

Phil.H

Of course you are referring to Inner Range - Concept, Tecom Challenger, Ness or other world class "Australian" origin security system technology. :rolleyes:

Phil.H, Dec 5, 2006
  7. Raven

Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 6, 2006
  8. Raven

znelbok

for heating and cooling I will be using an AdvantageAir system. It has a RS232 interface available with published protocols.

As for a system, CQC works well, has integration already for C-bus. If you feel you want to change your alarm panel then the NEss M1 is a good choice as it has C-bus integration and CQC integration. All the hard work is done for you.

I have no experience with ConvergeX and this may all be true for it as well, which in that case there is no advantage of one over the other in this respect.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 6, 2006
  9. Raven

Raven

I'll be keeping the Honeywell Galaxy - I had it installed only 18 months ago and it's on a monitoring contract through ADT (top service I might add :cool:).

I think ConvergeX is relatively new. I believe it's run by a bunch of Dutchmen operating from the West Country in England (odd mix!) but it has full integration with CBus and importantly, the Warmwolrd Datatherm intelligent heating (an English Classic :p).

It seems odd that I'm contemplating buying a main house PC server for this stuff but I'll have to pay ?300 (about Aus $750) for a multiway RS232/RS485 card or ?100+ for a USB to RS multiway converter to control/interface with everything else! Why doesn't anyone use USB? Probably some licencing nonsense but it's potty!

Raven, Dec 6, 2006
  10. Raven

rhamer

If you are close to choosing your Automation system, be aware that CQC's price is going to increase in 4 days with the release of V2.

If you buy it now you get the V2 beta (and of course V2 when it is released) at a discounted price (around half price).

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 6, 2006
  11. Raven

Raven

Cheers for the heads up Rohan. I'm not quite ready yet though.

CQC does look interesting, especially as there seems to be such diversity in the number of "home made" drivers its users are creating, which I like... "you don't have it? OK, I'll make one!"

I'm sure I'll end up with a PC based solution, as I would prefer to go DIY and there are not many integration packages you can get hold of which can be. Plus their all either massively more expensive or don't do enough.

We shall see.

Raven, Dec 6, 2006
  12. Raven

rhamer

No worries, I'd just hate to see you miss out on the cheap price by only a few days.

Let me know if you want any more info on CQC, I know a bit about it.

I'm also the author of the CQC C-Bus driver.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 7, 2006
Ask a Question