CBUS Heating Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raven, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi.

Has anyone used CBus for central heating control (intelligent or otherwise)?

Cheers!

Raven, Nov 12, 2006
  2. Raven

2SC

Almost in every home, I use common thermostats for temperature control (temperature sensor is too ugly) and schedules through TS for controlling the system. Using the telephone card you can activate central heating by phone.
    However I haven?t the opportunity yet to use the c-bus thermostats.

2SC, Nov 13, 2006
  3. Raven

ICS-GS

does anyone know where i can find some more info on the thermostats? Apart from the trade price guide clipsal.com search comes up with nothing.

ICS-GS, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Raven

NickD Moderator

Sorry,

As the thermostats are an unreleased product, nobody here can give you any more information than has already been posted. IIRC there has been some basic info posted here about how they interface to the HVAC, and the kind of functionality you can expect.

Your best hope is to pester your local CIS rep, who may in turn pester the marketing department, however I can't guarantee they will have any more to give you.

Nick

NickD, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Raven

Darpa

Darpa, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Raven

Steve Laidler

IR Control of Heat Pumps

Hi Raven,

The NIRTS - networked Infra-red transceivers give a means of interfacing with such things as heat pumps and air conditioners, not an uncommon application of C-Bus technology. This of course requires that your controlled device is IR remote capable, but has the advantage of keeping temperature sensor value information off the C-Bus network

Steve L
    Ecosystems NZ

Steve Laidler, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Raven

Raven

Thanks Steve, that's useful. I'd prefer to keep the standard components for the system as is and unforuntately they're not IR capable.

The HVAC controls I'd need are for the underfloor heating and hot water. The list I have in mind is as follows:
    • I'd need a brain to do the maths (i.e. the PAC)
    • temp sensors in each zone, plus an outside for optimum start
    • cylinder thermostat
    • relays to activate the actuators on the manifolds
    • relay to switch the cylinder zone valve
    • relays to switch the boiler and system pump
    • the job of the programmer could then be set up on the touchscreen
    Is this degree of intelligent control (coding-wise on a par with the DCD controller or Smart Home Control's smartkontrol system) possible via the PAC (I'd expect up to 1000 lines of code in total and dozens of "while" and "if" loops - how fast is the PAC?)

I agree with S2C - the temp sensors are ugly! I would like to use normal temp sensors (the decor-friendly remote sensors used to hide thermostats in a cupboard), which are essentially electrical thermometers. They report the actual temperature - could they be connected to a bus coupler for CBus to interpret the temp, or would only a themostat type switching device be able to communicate back to CBus?

Cheers

Raven, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Raven

2SC

As I said I use common thermostats for temperature control and schedules through TS for controlling the system. That means that I wire in a row a relay channel and the thermostat.
    Letting the thermostat always on, you can do whatever schedule you like through the TS, and you can control the heating system from every switch you like. The thermostat is there only for controlling the temperature.
    I let the standard components for controlling the system because is much cheaper and easier.
    For a system comprised of a chiller, a boiler, a heating water tank and three separate heating/cooling zones with a global on command through the telephone, I paid for the control panel only 200? with no pain for programming.

Cheers

2SC, Nov 18, 2006
  9. Raven

Raven

I'm quite keen to get the heating intelligently controlled, even if it costs a little more; I'll have 14 underfloor heating zones and I want to get the optimum start feature using an outside sensor.

Looks like I might have to look at another system for the heating, so long as I can integrate it all so it can be controlled centrally.

Thanks for the advice :)

Raven, Nov 19, 2006
Ask a Question